1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flashforward

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 24, 2009.

1. NDub

NDub Guest

Well, they do play at noon tomorrow, Rhody31. Ha ha. Thanks to tonight's rain.

I'm pretty sure, no, I know, that wasn't Comerica Park, either. Right about where that guy was walking is the bullpen and right above him is the giant scoreboard. Neither was there. Ha ha.

I saw that Oceanic Ad, too. Noticed immediately. The LOST connections are there beyond the overlapping characters and Oceanic Ad. Just the feel of it. Ex. The opening scene of chaos with FBI guy looking around to flipped cars, burning buildings and screaming people was close (not as good) as Jack Shepard entering the beach to the Oceanic 815 crash site.

2. Sneed

Sneed Guest

They're not overlapping characters, just actors. But it's still pretty wild. I wonder if they will tie it in with Lost. I doubt it, though.

Definitely a very similar feel, though.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Lost has supernatural elements involving time travel, the curved nature of the space-time continuum, deja vu, paradoxes and other weird phenomena. They keep showing up. Timeloops, weird shit over and over again.

Flashforward has the same sort of storytelling stuff as Lost but it's going to be more like 24 or a police procedural ... Everybody passed out (SPOILER: well, except for Comerica Park Guy) and saw a little over 2 minutes of their life next April. What happened? Why did it happen? Who made it happen? What are they doing? Underlaying that, of course, is a theme similar to the one John Woo had in the movie version of Philip K. Dick's story Paycheck: If you know what lays in your future, do you embrace that future or do you try to change it for the better?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Spoiler: It's CERN's fault.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The 2:17 span of the blackout is not random.
    Genesis 2:17:
    "But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."

And I was thinking it was how long it took Montana to take the 49ers down the field to win Super Bowl 23.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Brady would've done it in 1:17. </crossthread>

7. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I thought about that, and I think this would be your explanation: It was 11 a.m. in LA when the blackout happened, which would've made it 2 p.m. in Detroit. Certainly a plausible time for a day game to be going on.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

Gave the pilot a try and I enjoyed it very much.

Looking forward to the second episode.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Great pull on Genesis.

Montana had a little more than three minutes. 3:10 or something.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The L.A. special agent in charge's explanation of what he saw in his flashforward (and where he was when he had it) was awesome.

Dude lives for the reading room, clearly. ;D

1stADD: three links . . .

http://www.themosaiccollective.com/
    http://ofscarabs.blogspot.com/2009/09/flashforward-and-137.html
    http://tetrahedral.blogspot.com/2009/05/fine-structure-constant-alpha-1137.html
    And a Google: http://www.google.com/search?q=feynman+137

11. Good second episode. The end was quite chilling.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

John Cho is a terrible actor. The end was creepy.

Draft saved Draft deleted