1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flashforward

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Speaking of Lost. I really hope FlashForward doesn't try to be another Lost. I dug the pilot but a few spots seemed very Lost-like (say the intro carnage ... it had a very Jack waking up in the forest feel).

If it can find a strong voice that is different from Lost, I think that will only make it stronger. Having Dom (aka Charlie) might also cause some issues with being different from Lost.

2. NDub

NDub Guest

Agreed on the fate vs. free will thing. These people see their future on April 29, 2010. So how do they live the next 6-7 months of their lives? Do they try to live this period changing what they saw on that date, in a free will type of way. Or are the things they're doing in attempt to change what they saw in the flash forward, actually what was determined all along?

For example, in an effort to save her marriage and avoid being with another man on April 29, 2010, does Dr. Penny Widmore (obviously not her character name here) actually expedite her marriage's downfall by steps she takes to save it? Very LOST-like in this way.

I really like the potential of this show. A few "whoa!" moments, especially the security camera showing that dude in (what was supposed to be, but not really) Comerica Park in Detroit just walking around while all the people are passed out. This show, to me, is ABC's way of keeping the huge LOST audience around after it ends its spectacular run next spring.

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Maybe this all ends up being a dream of one of the people on the island, and in the series final of FlashForward we find out it's the real series finale for LOST. Hmmmmm

4. NDub

NDub Guest

ZOMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Maybe it's going to turn out that they're all dead and the show is set in purgatory. (Seriously, am I the only one who still wishes 'Lost' had actually done this?)

I'm definitely making this part of my regular viewing rotation. Good shit.

6. NDub

NDub Guest

The purgatory thing was definitely interesting. But I think we all caught onto it as season 1 wound down and at least at the start of season 2. It would've been way too predictable by seasons 5 and 6. You'd be an idiot if you didn't recognize it by that point.

7. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I've never seen lost, but I'm fascinated by this show so far. Interested in seeing if John Cho's character didn't have a vision for some reason other than he thinks.

I think the daughter/soldier who may or may not be actually dead is also pretty interesting, too. But I don't see how they can do more than a season or two of the show, since the end result of everything will happen in April apparently.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

If John Cho's character dies, then Harold AND Kumar will have died in prime time this year.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Not to be flippant, but in what universe do you foresee Flashforward not being like Lost?

10. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

Speaking of Lost connections...

There's a billboard in an early scene with an ad for Oceanic Air.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

By the way ... April 29, 2010, is a Thursday.

Yes, an episode of Flashforward is scheduled to air that night. Might be important.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

My one question was, why were the Tigers playing that early in the day? Wasn't it like 11:30 a.m.?

Draft saved Draft deleted