1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flash: Ann Coulter is a hateful shrew

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 27, 2007.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I know, I know --- and if it were Al Franken, or Bernie Ward, or Keith Olbermann or Jim Carville or any of the other pompous liberal blowhards on the air shouting down and/or ripping Newt Gingrich, all of the same people on this thread would be cheerleading for them and hailing them as being brave and courageous for voicing a different opinion than someone they detest.

This thread is another example of liberal hypocrisy -- it is OK for us, but not you.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Context may have been different, but it was indeed rather similar. To wit:

"If I'm going to say anything about John Edwards in the future, I'll just wish he had been killed in a terrorist assassination plot," Coulter responded, riffing on Maher's comment during his HBO show in which he said "people wouldn't be dying needlessly" if Cheney had been killed during an insurgent attack that happened while he was in Afghanistan."

If you don't see similarities, then there's not much anyone could do to help you.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with Ann Coulter saying what she says (its a free country) but she shouldn't be paraded out like some political analyst. She's not. It's like watching Springer for social commentary. It was interesting to see Coulter nervously combing back her hair when Elizabeth Edwards was talking to her. I'd like to see more people stand up and challenge Coulter to raise her game.

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

This is a little over the top, not least because I'm not sure there is a figure on the mainstream left -- now that Cynthia McKinney's out of Congress again -- who's as despicable as Coulter.

But there was a lot of excitement around here about -- for example -- Colbert's big blowup at the Correspondents' Dinner, which, though it wasn't in Coulter's class by a long shot, still lacked a certain tact and decorum. To say the least.

It occurs to me Keith Olbermann's nightly rants are another good example, though again Olbermann isn't as uniquely loathsome as Coulter.

5. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Part of the problem with the way things are now is that we celebrate those individuals who are at the extreme and the ones who yell the loudest. If you want to get attention, take the Talk Radio approach and say something outrageous. There is usually very little substance to what is said, instead the comments are all about how loud and how rude.

These individuals do nothing but make matters worse and lower the intelligence level of debate. I am more a republican than democrat, but I am not about to dismiss the arguements of my opponent because of who is saying it. Instead, I prefer to dismiss that which is said that I disagree with.

The Republican party would be better off if Ann Coulter would just go away. But we've made her a star so she -- and other on both sides like her -- will continue to spew this trash because we all eat it up.

Politics used to attract the best and the brightest. Not any more. The best and the brightest go into private business and avoid the ugliness of politics at all cost. We get the "C" students now -- the ones who aren't smart enough to do great things but are sneaky enough to get elected.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well, let's see -- you have a presidential candidate's wife - who happens to be dying of cancer so she is a very sympathetic figure -- on the phone -- dodging every challenge thrown back at her by Coulter about their fundraising activities by the way -- this was a no-win situation for anyone.

I don't agree with most of what Ann Coulter has to say because most of it is over the top and an attempt to self promote and/or sell books, but I respect the fact that she doesn't take any shit from the politically correct pinheads who try so hard every night to paint her as public enemy No. 1.

This whole line of "the political debate has become uncivil because of right wingers" BS has to stop or there will never be reasoned and real debate again.

BOTH sides are full of shit and BOTH sides are more interested in winning and demeaning or embarrassing the other side than making actual changes. There is just no debating this point.

7. Mighty_Wingman

Bill Clinton was a Rhodes Scholar. Barack Obama went to Columbia and Harvard Law, where he was president of the law review. Giuliani was law review and cum laude at NYU Law. Mitt Romney made like a billion dollars in "private business." And so on.

Most successful politicians aren't idiots. They often have to pretend to be to get elected.

And very, very, very few of the people behind the scenes in politics are "C students." Politics still attracts an amazing percentage of the nation's smartest and most driven people.

Besides, there's no real evidence to suggest that politicians 100 years ago were shining paragons of intelligence, restraint and statesmanship.

I've found that when someone says "It was better then than now," that person is usually wrong.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

ANN COULTER:
    BILL MAHER:
    One states his opinion that if Cheney had died, fewer others would die. The other states she "wishes" someone would die. That's a similarity on the same line of two people, one saying if humankind was to die out the earth would be better off because of less pollution and the other saying "I wish humankind would die out." See the similarity?

9. Mighty_Wingman

The similarity here is that both of those people are idiots.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wow, the line of distinction being used here, especially when the point was made to DISARM a potential argument of neo-cons, is ridiculous.

11. Mmac

Mmac Guest

I hate to ever agree with Rush, but actually she basically was if you look at it objectively.

She clearly had no idea it was coming, and if given the choice, I seriously doubt she would've agreed to engage in televised exchange with the cancer stricken well-spoken wife of the man who just the day before she'd sarcastically commented about hoping he'd be killed in a terrorist attack. I imagine even Ann knows she can only lose that face-off.

That said, there's nobody more deserving of such an ambush.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Of course the old saying "Don't start nothin', won't be nothin'" applies perfectly in this case. She wouldn't have been "ambushed" if she hadn't gotten diarrhea of the mouth.

Draft saved Draft deleted