1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flappy Bird

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 8, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Creator says it's making $50,000 a day in ads.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/5/5383708/flappy-bird-revenue-50-k-per-day-dong-nguyen-interview

My kids love it. I've never played, but it apparently stands out among mobile games for its extreme difficulty.

So, see? America's children do love to be challenged!

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I can play Flappy Birds for about 30 seconds before I want to stomp on my phone.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The kids are all over this game.

Google what Clash of Clans is making sometime.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Enjoy it while you can.

http://gizmodo.com/wait-what-flappy-bird-creator-is-removing-the-game-1518969676

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I just out the app on my phone. So far I've made it past one pipe.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't know what it takes to create an app; I've never played Flappy Birds; I have no idea what its creator "can't take."

BUT, I do know, that if I'm making $50K a day doing something -- short of having a red hot poker shoved up my ass while being forced to blow the entire Taliban army -- I'm not shutting it down.

7. Dark_Knight

Dark_Knight Member

That game is the fucking devil.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

My high score is 27, which I just set today while waiting for an assignment to start. Fun game and an easy way to kill time. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to (at least) get past the first couple pipes.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I've got a high score of 3 and have cussed 27 times.

10. Wenders

Wenders Active Member

This is all the rage with the college kids I work with. I asked one of them what exactly it was and he couldn't give me a clear answer as to the point of the game.

From the screenshots I've seen, it looks like a lot of it is blatantly stolen from Nintendo/Super Mario Brothers (the bird looks like the cheep-cheeps, the warp pipes, etc.) so I'm shocked that they haven't come knocking with a lawsuit.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I downloaded it. It's addicting and annoying.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

My son got 104.

Apparently this is something I am to be proud of and file away for college application time.

Draft saved Draft deleted