1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fla. St. beat writer resigns amid plagiarism charges.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 2, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Michael Olesker. Resigned from the Baltimore Sun because of plagiarism, hired by the Baltimore Examiner within a year. Not particularly memorable columnist at either place.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I remember there was one guy who was resigned after being accused of fabricating a story. The paper ran something acknowledging the incident, but didn't mention the reporter by name. When he wound up at a better paper a few months later, quite a few people were wondering if the new paper had any idea about the incident.

3. JordanA

JordanA Member

I thought the same. There are only so many adjectives and ways to describe exactly what happened on the play. The first one was a major red flag, though.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

You are right, there are only so many ways to describe a play. I guess it's just logical that she described them the same damn way as the Miami Herald stringer. GET REAL.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Are we limiting this to plagiarism?

Because I can give you one in the category of fabrication, which I think is worse than plagiarism: Michael Finkel.

A wunderkind at age 33, fired by the NYT Magazine after concocting a composite character out of three slaves in Africa.

http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/media/features/5740/

Resurrected by National Geographic in 2007, and actually was a finalist for a National Magazine Award for a piece on malaria.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/press_box/2007/07/the_return_of_michael_finkel.html

Is likely to be in contention for another National Magazine Award for this piece in GQ this year.

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/201409/the-last-true-hermit

6. Doc Holliday

But made up stories are so feel-good that you just don't care it's all a lie.

7. MiselisM

MiselisM New Member

A quick little side note: She is a Newhouse/Syracuse alum. I'm a current student at Newhouse, and I recognized the name. Sure enough I gave her a search and saw that she graduated from the masters program not too long ago. She was at a Newhouse panel hosted this past spring. My friend said his Newhouse professor told the class today to look up Natalie Pierre, and that they'll be spending the next class talking about the situation. Not good.

8. TarHeelMan

TarHeelMan Member

I can see Winston doing this on a course paper!

9. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Have they replaced her?

10. Doc Holliday

Why don't you apply?

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

(you people are slipping)

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

She is now something called Senior SEC Writer at the Alabama Media Group.

Pretty nice landing spot

Draft saved Draft deleted