1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fla. St. beat writer resigns amid plagiarism charges.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 2, 2014.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I don't know this person, but was in Tallahassee recently and read her stuff. It was incredibly cliche-ridden.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Isn't one example enough?

It's one of the few Cardinal sins in the business. Why minimize it in any way?

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Off the subject, but it was the Surfaris who originally did "Wipeout," not the Ventures.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Fat Boys-Beach Boys collaboration is the definitive version.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

She's still tweeting about FSU-Wake and covering the game for her website:

http://www.nataliepierre.com/

Not sure if she's at the game, though.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound like something that someone who "wanted" to quit the newspaper would do does it?

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Nah. It's a gimmick version. And the tempo is way too slow.

8. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

You get caught plagiarizing and then try to blame Gannett cutbacks as the reason you are resigning anyway? That's one of the worst rationalizations I've seen in awhile.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

It's an immature, chickenshit deflection technique. That says more about her than the plagiarism does in the first place.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Her reason for plagiarism was laziness. Her reason for quitting was stupidity. Bottom line is she won't be covering FSU for the Democrat any longer.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Funniest in all of it, though, was that a plagiarizing beat writer was given a free pass when most of the staff had to re-apply for their jobs.

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of instances where someone is fired or resigns over plagiarism who gets another job in journalism? Mike Barnicle is the only one I can think of. I'm sure there are more.

I know of plenty of instances where someone was busted for plagiarism, but never fired or it was never made public and they went on to reach great heights in this business.

Draft saved Draft deleted