1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fla. St. beat writer resigns amid plagiarism charges.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Tallahassee Democrat beat writer Natalie Pierce quit after plagiarism charges arose.

http://deadspin.com/florida-state-beat-writer-resigns-after-plagiarism-char-1641861865

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Was that wrong?

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Seems like she might be taking the approach that she did it by accident, forgetting to rework or delete something that was copied from the original story?

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

This is why you don't read other people's work if you're doing a story that someone else has already done. And, if you must read them, get a hard copy or print a hard copy. But you sure as hell don't copy and paste their story into your notes.

In my 22 years in this business, more than half covering college athletics, I've never made anything close to that kind of mistake.

I would like to say this is just someone being dumb, but I think it's more on the side of someone just being lazy.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And where were the quotes from? Guess they were quoted after the game? And both writers were present for all the interviews. Can't really tell, and Tallahassee link is no longer valid, apparently.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You nailed it with that first sentence.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Second and third sentences, too.
    Really, does any plagiarist's "explanation" ever sound plausible?

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The last part was interesting:

Sounds like she could have kept her job if she had fought for it, but figured she'd be persona non grata if she stayed around. Hey, at least she doesn't have to cover Jameis Winston anymore.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't understand how she can say she didn't intend to plagiarize him. It seems like more of a case of not understanding what plagiarism is.

As a side note, and semi-related, while researching a piece over the last couple weeks, I came across material that wasn't plagiarized, but instead added dramatic details that were not in the source material. For example, in the source material, an autobiography, the player dryly describes approaching his coach. In the piece that uses the autobiography as a source, it explains that "his heart jackhammering as he walked up to his coach." And that's not isolated - there are a lot of dramatic embellishments like that.

I'm not sure which is worse, plagiarism, or that kind of misrepresentation, which is basically making shit up. But one is a career-ending sin, the other gets you a book deal.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Maybe he was wearing a heart rate monitor, and only this one journalist was aware of it.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

How long has The Democrat been a Gannett paper?

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Since 2005. It was Knight-Ridder for years before that.

Draft saved Draft deleted