1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FJM.com does Deadspin today

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The first entry looks at and comments on a list of "scrappy" players. And it does not disappoint.

http://deadspin.com/5360379/the-utterance-of-this-word-should-be-punishable-by-death

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This made me giggle really hard.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Fantastic.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Article just made my day.

I just realized what this list is. This list is like if Science or Nature or Cell published a list of "Scientists Who Are Kind of Bad But Also Kind of Adorable Because They're Dumb and Hey, They're Doing the Best They Can With Their Dumb Little Brains. Let's Give It Up For Kind of Dumb Scientists! ... P.S. These Guys Ain't Cured Shit — the Scientists Who Do That Are Actually Smart."

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Today only makes me miss FJM even more.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

9. KVV

KVV Member

Seriously, I plan to watch Parks and Recreation this year, even though it was pretty meh last year, just out of respect to the FJM guys. The Murray Chass take down was like watching someone drive a golf ball 350 yards.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And then talk shit to the ball about it.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This should get stickied 'round these parts:

Is there a stats-freak formula that suggests when to shut down a season? Is a six-game deficit on Aug. 31 similar to a bad OPS, OBP or Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da?

I would like to make a suggestion to all angry, stat-ignorant sportswriters out there: when you do the thing where you cite real stats and then make up a goofy-sounding joke stat to try to make fun of sabermetrics, don't use OPS and OBP. They're pretty fucking simple to understand, and also pretty mainstream at this point, but you all choose them as your "these crazy stats are so weird!" set-ups for your awesome joke stats, and so you all end up with similar-sounding jokes. There are way goofier-sounding stats out there, if you want them. xFIP is pretty silly-sounding. Use xFIP.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted