1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fix my car or get another one

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It must be John Cena. I can't see him.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The way I see it, I'm not so sure there are any good decisions I can make here. I can keep my car at least until it's paid off next fall, spending God knows how much just to keep it running and able to pass inspection until then.
    I could double up on payments to pay it off by the spring and not have enough money left to make whatever repairs are needed.
    I could get another car, roll the balance into another loan and pay for two cars. To get anything decent, I'd need a five or six-year loan and getting that long a loan for a used car doesn't sound too smart.
    None of these options sound particularly appealing.

3. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

As I recall your financial situation on this fucking beater, your only GOOD option is to torch the fucking thing for the insurance money.

Then buy a bus pass.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Solid. Very solid.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

That's where I am with it.

6. Smallpotatoes

Then find another job because I really need a car for this one.

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Then learn how to negotiate for a car without being bootsed.

http://bit.ly/NIC2C5

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I've only had to fix the car once and that was the air leak issue that's been mentioned above. It caused the sensor to respond in a way that made my engine hesitate and it only cost about $150 to fix. Getting a new set of tires cost more.

Yeah. It's about all I use it for. A full tank (11 gallons) gets me about 285 miles. I visit my family twice a year. The mileage was crappy going out there for some reason but a lot better coming back.

Anyway, my main point is: Either just drive the hell out of it, sell it for what you can get and then get another car or cross your fingers and hope the repairs aren't as serious as they're telling you. When my sensor went out of whack because of the hose leak, the engine started hesitating and the way it was sounding was making me think the repair was going to be a lot worse than it actually was. Computers and sensors seem to make cars do stupid things sometimes.

9. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

You ever think of becoming a mechanic?

10. Smallpotatoes

Isn't it obvious I have no real skill or talent for that?

11. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

True.

Maybe you could negotiate car purchases for folks.

12. Smallpotatoes

Obviously I have no talent at that, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted