1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fix my car or get another one

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Right?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Clearing the code won't hurt, though. My light came on during a cold day last winter. Wired until the weather warmed up a bit and disconnected the battery. The light didn't come back on and I passed inspection.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Care Bear just did a happy dance and doesn't know why.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Before I went back to the place that did the tuneup, the first place I went was the Auto Zone across the street from where I live.
    They couldn't narrow it down to one thing, just four or five possibilities and then they told me to see a mechanic.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm really curious as to what the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) was. If you go back, they'll scan again. I may be getting played for a fool here, but if you get that code I might be able to point you in a much cheaper direction.

And BTW, if you're getting your car "tuned up" you are really getting taken for a ride (HA!). Cars don't need tuneups anymore ... well, certainly not to the degree that they did way back then.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You're right to a degree. Some things are just hiccups and you can use one of those scanners to clear them. Sometimes the temperature will read funny -- probably what happened in your case -- and clearing it will take care of it. If it's an emissions thing, though -- especially if it's the catalytic converter et al. -- you won't be able to pass inspection because you're deleting the memory the inspector's computer wants to access. As soon as that memory gets repopulated, bingo, there's your trouble code again.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Sometimes the code can come on because your gas cap isn't screwed on tight enough. We had that once with our Malibu.
    Getting the codes read and listing them here is good advice.
    Of course, also make sure the transmissiony thingy is working correctly. ;)

8. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

It was a full-blown orgasm. I'm not even reading the legitimate responses. Thank you, Ruckus.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Still the greatest post in SJ history. As much for the timing as the content.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Or his neighbor's car, I suppose.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Now that the transmissiony joke has already been trotted out, here goes.

Get the codes read, and get to a place that will find out the one, maybe two issues tripping the light. Should be just one, of course, but there could be a diagnostic fee these days, even with somewhat reputable places.

Not sure you need to panic just yet. Could be an O2 sensor, or it could be a cap for your gasoline tank, neither of which will cost what a new catalytic converter will set you back. (Though, to be fair, panic might be allowed when it's a bleeping Neon in the discussion ... if I'm labeled judgmental for saying this, I'll live with it because Neons are, were and have long been junk).

Usually, I would do anything to dissuade people from going further upside down by getting another machine. But the upgrade from a Neon to a Nissan Altima might make this a worthy exception. Full disclosure: my biases are clearly in play, but given a choice between Nissan and MoPar, it's no contest. None. If you end up making a move, shop around as there are usually a bunch of Altimas and other choices in play (Toyota Corollas are sized similarly to the Neon and are much more durable and dependable) ... and waiting until the end of the month - providing the transmission or something else doesn't leave you on the side of the road - might get you a little bit of a break on the bottom line.

If the vehicle is an obvious mess, don't let the dealer know until you absolutely have to. Their having the upper hand doesn't help your cause.

And what did your folks mean by a "tuneup"? I asked the last place exactly what they meant by that. When the answer was "spark plugs," the answer was a firm "no." The platinum plugs were replaced per the manufacturer's vehicle guide.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Plugs, wires, fuel system cleaning.

Draft saved Draft deleted