1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fix my car or get another one

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

OK, the "Kick me" sign is on.
    I was able to get through that rough patch in the spring of 2011, when it was in the shop five times in six weeks, including twice for a transmission.
    Today, the Dodge Neon has 106,800 miles on it. I have 14 months left on the loan, owing $2,700.
    A few days after getting a tuneup two weeks ago, the check engine light went on. I took it back to the place where I got the tuneup and they told me it needed a new catalytic converter, which costs anywhere from $600 to $1,000. I can't afford it right now but I have until the end of October to either take care of it or get another car because that's when it needs to pass state inspection.
    This weekend, I looked into getting another car, a 2009 Nissan Altima, but I would have needed a five or six-year loan to get it. I decided to pass.
    The Neon is worth $1,600 at most. Would I be better off getting it fixed and driving it into the ground or rolling the balance of the loan into a loan for another car? Neither option is particularly appealing to me, but I don't think there are any good decisions that can be made in this situation.
    All right, go ahead and have more laughs at my expense.

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I'm so excited, I don't know where to begin ...

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

You could fuck your car in the ass.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Get it fixed. Just make sure they include the good, green stuff with the catalytic converter.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Honestly, you should set fire to your car, push it off a cliff and punch yourself in the balls repeatedly. You'll end up better off that way than you will if you do nothing or try to buy a new car.

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

OK, I'm done for now.

7. joe

joe Active Member

Get a second opinion on the catalytic converter. Ignore the check engine light for now; chances are, it will go off by itself. If all else fails and it's still running by the time the tags are up, take it to another place that ain't gonna check the converter.

Pay it off and drive that fucker into the ground.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Get the error code reset.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wow, Ruckus really was excited.

I don't think we've seen five posts in a row since I blew my load on a Sarah Palin thread four years ago.

Well, or on my mixology thread on a daily basis.

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I almost had my first cigarette in 14 months.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Don't know where you are, but many of the big car-part retailers -- e.g., Advance Auto, Auto Zone, etc. -- will do a "Check Engine" scan for free. Alternatively you can buy an OBD scanner for around $60 to $100. Either way, find out exactly what the trouble code is. It'll be something along the lines of "P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)". Come back here and post what that code is and I might be able to guide you.

BTW, the code won't go away. Your car's power control module is basically a big computer that stores what's happened. You can reboot it -- disconnecting the negative battery cable for a minute or two works wonders -- but that won't get you through inspection because the car has to be driven some distance -- usually 60 to 100 miles -- before the computer reports "Ready." If there really is a problem, as soon as you hit that magic mileage that light's going to pop back up. And if the computer reports "Not Ready" they won't pass you for inspection.

Lots of times these emissions control system errors are really easy (and cheap) to fix. For example, my Kia minivan reported any number of emissions malfunctions, but ultimately all that was needed was some duct tape over cracks that had opened up in the hose from the air filter to the throttle body. The wide variation in oxygen content as a result had the computer going haywire.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I let out an audible "Yes!" when I saw this thread. I'm not kidding.

Draft saved Draft deleted