1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five years (heck, tons of marriages don't last that long)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Apr 30, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

i just realized that today marks five years for me on here. Not a really big deal, as there are lots of people who have been here longer and on other incarnations of this board that I wasn't.

Still, I'm fascinated by the relatively recent institution of the message board, how it can become a community with its own rules, mores and such. I've stuck around because I've made friendships on here (some long-term, some that unfortunately faded) and had lots of interesting discussions about sports, journalism and other things. Also, the unpredictability of the place holds an attraction, how one fully participating new member can add a whole new dynamic.

So...for the long-term members: What keeps you coming back? Do you see yourself here in another five years? For the more recent members: What brought you here? This is not a state of the board thread, so you can post too, buck.

Sorry for the (at least for me) long-windedness. Thought it might be interesting stuff. If not, sorry for the minute you'll never get back. ;)

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Is that five years of actual time or five years of logging in.
    With you, though, am sure there isn't much difference between the two.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Assuming that each post averaged about two minutes, you've spent the equivelent of 24.5 40-hour work weeks posting.

And that's only the amount of time spent post, not just reading.

Congratulations.

I think?

4. dooley_womack1

The mere crude measure is, from the date I first logged on. But I'm using me merely as an entry point into what I hope to be a general discussion.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If I'm dead, I won't be around in five years.
    If I'm not, I suspect I will be. Like Dooley, I've forged a lot of relationships here. Pissed a lot of people off, too, but I do that anyway.

Five years *** wow, what a five years it has been. Two significant promotions at my old job, one of them to the spot I'd always worked toward having. And 461 days later, I was out of there.
    If you had told me five years ago I'd be doing what I'm doing now, I would have called you a crazy mo-fo.

Wonder what the next five will bring? Hell, SJ and my family have been about the only constants in my life!

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, once you spurned Birks for Crocs, it was all down hill from there.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

HC & I are coming up to our five year anniversary. What a coincidence.

Have met some great people through our Toronto outing and our mini trip to NYC last summer.

8. dooley_womack1

I changed jobs during these five years and have a kid on the verge of college. But the bald spot has held steady, luckily.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Mine, too!

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I suppose I fall under the "more recent members": I was told by an editor to pay this place a visit; "Trust me," he said. And I did.

Twenty-two months later, I've made a few friends, had a lot of laughs and killed plenty of boredom. If this site is still kicking around in five years, I'll be here for sure. Signing on is a major part of my morning and evening routines; I'm hooked, and I don't remember what I did before typing here (probably something productive, though).

I've used this place to improve my writing, my thought process, my debating chops and my tolerance. I think it's a great place to better your career, as well as speed up your exit (see lack of productivity), I'm sure.

I keep coming back because of the friendships I've made on the board, and, well, I've got time to kill.

11. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

dools, what is this? you gettin' all sentimental in your old age?

;)

12. dooley_womack1

No not at all. And I'll break out my cane on you to prove that point, if I could only reach my walker.

Draft saved Draft deleted