1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five years ago today ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sam Mills 51, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

... Sam Mills died.

I still remember that day vividly. Walked to my desk in the newsroom when a colleague asked "Do you know?"

"Know what?"

"Sam Mills died."

I should have put the pieces together. He had left the hospital pretty recently, very little said about his condition or long-term prognosis. A lot of the usual signs with someone battling a life-threatening condition.

I slumped into my chair and tried to look at the budget. Luckily, said colleague had the front page and primary control of the section, and luckier still, it was otherwise a slow day as he centerpieced the story ... a well-done obit by Jenna Fryer with good background anecdotes.

Wore my Sam jersey to work the next day, with no disparaging words said by bosses about dress code.

Even changed my handle on some silly board and try to change it back a year later only for some good people to PM me and ask "Why?" Message received. Better yet, another superb gentleman noticed recently that the statue bearing his likeness near the stadium in Charlotte was larger-than-life. Literally. He was 5-foot-9. The gentleman who noticed this was at least 6-2. Good to know that Jerry Richardson knows that larger-than-life sorts can be quiet and not of massive stature.

Anyway ... just wanted to genuflect and leave this parting note:

"Life is a journey, filled with so many obstacles, some easy and some very difficult. No matter what obstacle you are facing, never give up just 'Keep Pounding.'"

- Sam Mills
  2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sam - nice tribute. Mills first caught my eye when he played in the USFL for the Bell. The guy was everywhere.

How did you become such a fan of Sam?
  3. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Active Member

Sam 51 and I have talked about Sam a couple times.

He was a fine man. Really a special guy.

Best to you, Sam 51.
  4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

Enjoyed the USFL, and ABC wisely hooked its wagon onto the Stars. Kept noticing this sawed-off linebacker holding his own. Noticed that Jim Mora and this little linebacker went to New Orleans after the USFL lost its head.

Was a Saints fan for years before Jerry Richardson got a team in the region. Mora turned a perennial loser before he got the franchise turned around for the first time in its history. And Sam Mills got the shot that the Cleveland Browns, which shouldn't have ever cut him, or anyone else was smart enough to give him.

Funny how the Carolina Panthers, which had never played a game, was willing to give Mills a multi-year deal whereas the Saints wouldn't budge. Only after the Panthers offered the contract did the Saints offer something similar.

Mills noticed that the Saints were reactive and the Panthers were proactive and signed with the latter. FWIW, I grew up the shortest male - sometimes the shortest person - in a lot of my classes, so some of the short sorts got my attention - Dave Meggett, Lionel James, James Brooks. Tyrone Bogues, Spud Webb and especially Sam Mills. It was also good to see that some pro athletes weren't legends in their own minds with mega-outsized egos. (Yeah, I know that Meggett got into trouble, but will never forget following a returned punt for a touchdown that he found a kid in the stands in the Superdome who was in a wheelchair and wearing a Mills jersey and gave that ball to him).
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Great tribute Sam.

I used to love watching Mills totally dominate a game with the Stars. When he signed with the Saints, I knew they were getting a star.

YGBFKM Guest

Perhaps I'm confused, but did Mills play his last game in '98 or '99? I can remember trying to come up with a centerpiece one December day around that time. I could have sworn I ended up arguing with my boss over the validity of doing a photo cp collage of Mills and Steve Tasker, also playing his last game that day, on an incredibly slow news day.
  7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Tough Jersey kid from the shore township of Neptune.

Saints should have retired his number 10 years ago.

The Anti-Roethlisberger.
  8. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

This is a great tribute to the onetime linebacker and all-time great person from someone who honors the player's life by living his own.
  9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Keep pounding, Sam. Keep pounding.
  10. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Active Member

I hope Rickey Jackson goes out of his way to pay Sam tribute when he goes into the Pro Football Hall of Fame this year.

I'm suspecting he will.

The Field Mouse has left quite a legacy.
  11. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

In honor of the real-life Sam Mills, and the man who honors his name on this board...

זכרו לברכה (Zichronot livracha. May his memory be blessed.)
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Only guy in Toronto who had his sj handle on his back. I remember watching Sam Mills play for the Philadelphia Stars in the USFL. He was very Singletary-esque at that level and was damn good in the NFL, too.
Draft saved Draft deleted