1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five years ago today ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-Backs Hack, May 1, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Two wrongs don't make a right.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

::)

OK...but I'd much rather people use those photos to remind the public of the very real human cost associated with this war rather than toe the administration line which treats them more like abstracts. For Americans to make real informed decisions, they need all the facts, not just the ones cleared through the White House.

3. You'll think I'm being a jerk here, but I ask this honestly -- why is the photo such a problem?
    Maybe it's because I'm not in the service, but I don't get it. If they were open caskets, that would be one thing, but I don't see how a visual reminder of the sacrifice our countrymen have made is upsetting.

4. I think any publication of that picture anywhere -- considering the time and effort that this adminstration hhas undertaken to keep the public from knowing any of the cost of this clusterfuck -- is worthwhile. One wrong, not two.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

To both you and Demo...I think TBF has issue with those photos being used to politicize this debate. The problem is, the war's grown so much beyond just a military affair that there's no way to NOT politicize it, no matter your approach.

6. War is always political. ("Politics by other means," no?) Especially in this country, where the decision to go to war is supposed to reside in the most political branch of all, the Congress. And this war in particular was uniquely political because it was SOLD politically, and not on its merits, because it had none, and because of its aggressive deployment in the midterms of 2002. And that's not even to point out that the American people needed to have as much information as they wanted to judge the fitness of the guy who launched it when he stood for re-election in 2004.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sorry three bags, but i think reality is necessary.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And by the Bush adminstration restricting the casket photos, they are the ones who were politicizing it. Like I said, in WWII, casket images were allowed right on the movie screen. I'm not sure, but I believe they were also allowed for Korea and Vietnam. Now, all of a sudden, the government is concerned about how families feel about the caskets? Heck no. They want to stifle dissent about the war.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thank you, baron.

Draft saved Draft deleted