1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five years ago today ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-Backs Hack, May 1, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, that and he lives it so he surely has no bias, either.

give me a fucking break.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Actually, that's pretty much the best argument against it right there.

And if you continue to believe that the points made on this thread are opposed to the one you just made ... as you regularly seem to imply ... well, think again.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I guess I'm not sure how to come at this.

But it seems to me that I'd rather live in a society that frets and suffers and reckons the cost of every soldier's sacrifice than live in one that turns a blind eye to cause or consequence, or counts unfeeling those young lives as nothing but a line item against the cost of doing business.

Iraq was the wrong war in the wrong place at the wrong time.

4. Let me echo the others here. I can't see how we're making different arguments.
    I've always said your friends should never have been there in the first place. I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sorry the president didn't consider that when he took us there for no apparent reason.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

naw, dude. he'll still find a way to be pissed off.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You know, it's hard to look at this war against the backdrop of every other war in our nation's history. The numbers are stunning. Sometimes I see a story -- like today's about the blasts in Afghanistan that killed one NATO soldier and eight civilians -- and then I think about battles I've read about like Antietam ... a place where 23,000 soldiers were killed in a single day.

And in a macabre way, I'm glad I live in a time when that doesn't happen anymore. Where one soldier's death can mean so much to me -- indeed, Sgt. Bryan Brewster's death on May 5, 2006, affected me more than I ever thought possible. It affects me to this day.

I am also glad so many of us are speaking up against this war. It needs to end. Now.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The Bush Administration: Eager to go to war, just not very good at it.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Look. I don't want us there any more than you do. Do you think I want to go? Do you think I want my friends in harms way? If I have any goodwill here, please, just don't throw around photos of dead soldiers to try and make a point. It's over the top, unnecessary and tasteless.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

First, three_bags, I'm sorry for your loss.

I don't consider the photo of dead soldiers's coffins to be over the top. I was watching a WWII documentary on the History Channel several months ago. They showed a Movietone newsclip, which had lines of coffins and graves.

I bring this up, because Bush, in his constant soundbites and catchphrasing, has compared the Iraq War to WWII. This, in spite of, no draft, no rationing, and the fact that we went to war with a country that didn't attack us. It shows his hypocrisy in that he likes to talk about comparing Iraq to WWII, but doesn't want to deal with the negatives about WWII.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Might have been covered already, but wasn't there an unwritten rule about no caskets being photographed during the first few months of the war?

I know using the caskets in the wrong way is in poor taste, but seeing them reminds me off yet another crappy thing this administration tried to do. [/freedomofthepress?]

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It wasn't an unwritten rule. It was a flat-out order by the administration and the military, and I believe it still exists today. There was a huge flap when the photo came out, because, in the selfish world of Bush, showing those photos doesn't support our troops, and is unpatriotic.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Are you kidding me? I'm as sensitive to the loss of troops as you...I've had a couple of people I know die or get wounded there. But this administration has flatly refused photos of the caskets to be made public. Talk about politicizing it.

Draft saved Draft deleted