1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five women shot in store in Illinois

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Feb 2, 2008.

1. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I'd like to think you're wrong. But I'm a very fat person. So I just don't know.

2. snuffy2

snuffy2 Member

Women as victims in violent death pushes the first button, followed by parsing out youthful beauty to give the story endurance.

3. I don't know how anyone who watches the news could possibly disagree with this.

4. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I'd agree with that, too.
    My favorite local watering hole has CNN Headline News on one of its TVs constantly for no real good reason, which means a steady diet of "Nancy Grace" at night.
    When I was in there last Tuesday night, she spent her first half-hour on the murdered pregnant Marine, next 15 minutes on a kidnapped college student, last 15 minutes on the vanished wife of a Chicago cop.
    All white. All young. All attractive.
    I really don't know if she would have spent as much time on any if they were black or Hispanic.
    As sad as it is, white+attractive+tragedy= ratings.
    It's disgusting, and one of the reasons I abhor Nancy Grace and her ilk.
    I'm sure she'll be all over this tragedy tomorrow.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm curious.

You've been in Europe for three years, and appreciate the fact that there's very little violent crime compared to the US.

Yet your response to a shooting is that we can't possibly execute someone quickly enough, because capital punishment will act as a deterrent to future criminals.

The US has capital punishment, and has for years. It still has a significant violent crime problem.

Europe, like most of the civilized world, does not have the death penalty. It does not have a serious violent crime problem.

Where's the logic in demanding a swift execution?

6. I don't disagree with the argument that pretty white girls, both above and below the age of 18, attract the most media attention ... but this story here got a lot of play. I'm 800 miles away and it led my local news.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Hey simon .... F-you. F-you and your brother too. My wife shops at Lane Bryant and she weighs 140 pounds. She was beautiful the day I met her and she still is.

Go eat dirt.

8. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Turns out there were 6 people, all women, shot, 5 died. Police announced that Sunday. Which means that Saturday, no reporter asked, "Were the five killed the only victims?" Geez. Details, people. The police may not answer, but you've got to ask the question.

9. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I didn't hear about this until a friend IM-ed me last night and said his parents knew someone who died in this incident. I was at work and didn't check the news wires.

This was a shocking story for me because I grew up about 10 minutes from that store.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I don't know exactly what it is?
    Maybe its that most stores close in Europe on Sundays.
    There isn't as much available late at night here, while in the U.S. there's always lots open 24 hours.
    Things are just so laid back here, compared to everyone running, running, running and wanting everything now, now, now and fast, fast, fast in the States.
    And again, I'm looking forward to coming back there to live. It's my home and the land I love.
    Heck, I wish I knew what the damn problem is with crime in the U.S.
    It's sort of the same analogy I use with young people and the Civil Rights movement.
    Youngsters in the States, black and white, don't know diddly about the heroes of the Civil Rights movement.
    Yet, they want all the friggin' civil rights they can lay their hands on.
    And for the most part, the court systems in place in the U.S. now pretty much guarantee them alot of those rights they seek.
    Criminals seem to have no respect for life of courtesy for folks who've worked hard to obtain something.
    And folks like that bug me.
    And I see more of those types of folks in the U.S. than I do in Europe.
    A reverse-approach, as you are intoning that I subscribe to, might be a deterrent.
    Maybe not.
    I really don't know.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Have they caught the shooter yet?

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Natalie Holloway's shining picture is on the front page of cnn.com right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted