1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five favorite war movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I like that you started with "and". That means you agree with my premise.

"Act of Valor" is the 21st century version of the "Green Berets".

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I agree with it to the extent that 'The Green Berets' is a chickenhawking piece of fascist agitprop worthy of every political, practical and aesthetic contempt. Plus which, Jim Hutton doing anything but screwball comedy is an affront to man and God.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. Bob Newhart in Catch-22 is a more realistic army officer than Jim Hutton.

Green Berets is one of those fascinating films, though. I watch it nearly every time I come across it expecting to find that I missed something or misjudged it, but it's really terrible.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

My eighth grade teacher was as chickenhawk as they come and he showed us The Green Berets because it was his favorite movie. Even as an eighth grader I knew it sucked.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Like the song, it's a fascinating document of its time. So richly fake, so obviously, earnestly phony it proves the opposition's case against it every time you see it.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As you may know, there is a scene in "The Green Berets" is which the sun is depicted as setting in the East.

7. Boom_70

Not a lot different than many WW II movies of the time, except that WW II was a "popular" war. Sands of Iwo Jima
    is not much different when it comes down to it.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

But 'Sands' came out in 1949. It wasn't made as a piece of current events propaganda. Lots of movies were, certainly, but what Wayne was trying to do with 'Berets' was straight-up right wing bullshit, no better than the 5 o'clock follies.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's a good one, Boom.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

War movie I forgot that's a really good Vietnam movie:

We Were Soldiers Once

11. Boom_70

That was on my top 5. The book was even better.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Liked them both. That had some real drama.

Draft saved Draft deleted