1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five dead in Colorado shootings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery_Meat, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22174890/

A little surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Authorities searched a home in a Denver surburb early Monday, seeking any link between two deadly shooting sprees at Christian religious centers that left both communities baffled and stunned.

Five people, including a gunman, died in the attacks Sunday at a megachurch in Colorado Springs and at the Youth With a Mission missionary center in the Denver suburb of Arvada. Five others were wounded.

"Violent crimes of any sort are tragic enough, but when innocent people are killed in a religious facility or a place of worship, we must voice a collective sense of outrage and demonstrate a renewed commitment to keeping our communities safe," said Gov. Bill Ritter.

Police in Arvada said they believed the shootings — which occurred 12 hours and about 65 miles apart — were probably linked, though they had nothing conclusive to back up the theory.
    "Given the circumstances, I think it is a good possibility that the two are linked," Arvada Deputy Police Chief Gary Creagor told The Associated Press early Monday. "But we have to prove that they are."

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

3. NCScrub

NCScrub Member

On a completely unrelated note, I recognized the name of the "megachurch" from my trip to Colorado Springs last summer. Was near the Air Force Academy when the worst storm I've ever tried to drive in hit. Just a terrible hailstorm while I'm in a rental car. We drove and finally found this huge church with a gigantic covered drive thru and parked under it with about 12 other cars. In an interesting twist given today's news, we found the place to be a safe haven.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Any clue why he went to New Life? At first I was going to make a crack of people going to a church armed, but thank God the woman who killed the shooter was strapped.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Sad sad story. Thoughts and prayers to all the famillies.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If you recognize the name, it's because it was the church pastored by Ted Haggard. Not that that has anything to do with this. By all accounts, the four who were killed were all-around good people. 26, 24, 18 and 16.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

What kind of church needs armed security anyway?

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

These days, a Mosque might need it.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The crime is awful. Nobody deserves to die. I am just a bit puzzled by the governor’s words here. He seems to be saying that this shooting is worse than other shootings because it was in a church. If these shootings occurred in Denver near Coors Field, for instance, it wouldn’t be as bad.

I also expect to read and hear a lot about how he wasn’t a “good” Christian (Article)…
    [quote author=Article] Matthew Murray, the 24-year-old gunmen at a megachurch and a missionary training school in Colorado, had a falling out with the school after authorities kicked him out a few years ago. Murray, whom a friend described as a deeply religious Christian, had been sending hate mail to the school ever since.[/quote]

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I think what the governor is referring to is that a church is supposed to be a "safe haven".

I would think I'd be much, much more likely to get shot at a Raiders game Coors Field than in a church.

11. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

[/quote]

More proof from Pastor that you read what you want to read into something, you see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear, even if it's not really there. If you go looking for trouble, it's easy to find under every rock.
    Do we really have to turn every tragedy into a petty debate on this message board?

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Not at all. I'm merely pointing out what routinely occurs. For months we have read about how Muslims can't contain themselves from violence and how Christians don't go into churches and start shooting them up.

So, while it is all very well factual that in Arab countries the level of violence is well out of hand, it cannot be said that Christians don't/wouldn't react in the same way.

Draft saved Draft deleted