1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five cyclists killed in Kalamazoo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

That's why cyclists need to reach up and grab the tops of cars, spoilers or roof racks, whatever is up there.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But not so sad as to not mock people doing the same thing just 22 minutes later.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm not mocking cyclists. I'm mocking 21st century yuppie culture.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A lot of my friends are hard-core cyclists. I want to get into cycling. Five people are dead, senselessly. That makes me sad. It would make me sad if it were five gang-bangers. It would make me sad if it was five Klansmen. It's sad. Do I need to prove it with a torture fantasy, per SJ.com protocol?

Alma and YankeeFan like this.
  5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

You're an early riser if I recall correctly. Riding early in the morning is the best ... no traffic and the whole world belongs to you.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Were the Klansmen minding their own business reading poetry or being all Klanny? I am not sure I'm sad about them.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

For the record, I am advocating torture fantasy because I was once a bicycle rider struck by a pick-up truck driver in a hit-and-run incident that left me on the receiving end of CPR and in the hospital for 6 weeks.

So fuck this guy with a chainsaw.

dprince57, Inky_Wretch and HC like this.
  8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

My dad was an avid cyclist until someone opened his car door into him, launching him over his handlebars and into the street. He's been too fearful to do it much since. The guy who doored him felt terrible about it—he even printed thousands of stickers for drivers to put on their dashboards, a reminder to look before they open their doors. (By the way: Please look before you open your door.) Although it sucked, there's a difference, to me, between accidents like that—just a moment's carelessness and bad timing, followed by sincere remorse—and accidents like this one, where the guy was obviously driving either drunk or like an asshole and then ran after hitting a bunch of people. I get the desire to inflict damage on someone like that. If it turns out he was drunk or driving recklessly, he should be charged with murder and put away for a long time. If I'm remembering right, he killed one fewer person than the insane Uber driver did in Kalamazoo.

Alma and Inky_Wretch like this.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I live in the Long Beach Ca area in between two concrete river beds (LA River and San Gabriel). When I was training for mini-triathlons, I loved biking on the river bike paths. I was scared shitless every second of biking to get to them. One texting driver, and I'd have been fucked. Not worth it to me.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Haven't read the story (don't want to) but can't help be reminded of a similar story from my hometown about 10-15 years ago. Man in his 60s or 70s was cycling on a residential street early one weekend morning, and some psycho just mowed him down and killed him. Thrill kill, apparently.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Driver charged with five counts of 2nd Degree Murder.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Today in "What the fuck is the matter with people?"

Draft saved Draft deleted