1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five athletes you wish were active today and in their prime

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think the important factor in any of these cases is, are we simply using a time machine and pulling 25-year-olds into this era or having these athletes be born in 1987 and growing up in this era? Babe Ruth would have to make major adjustments to the better equipment and new pitching styles of the day. That wouldn't happen right away. Wilt Chamberlain would have to learn to play against players as tall and taller than him who also are more athletic. That wouldn't happen right away. There are dozens of rule changes Bobby Orr would need to master because they mostly affect defense. That wouldn't happen right away.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced Chamberlain would play against that many 7-footers as athletic as him. The man had excellent strength, speed, stamina and jumping ability in his prime. There's not a ton of film from early in his career, but what exists is impressive and people that actually saw him play say he was unreal.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

How often do low-post centers need to dribble?

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That or me going back to their era and watching them compete.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He had a fade away jumper and a finger roll with either hand. If you len forward to try and stop the jumper, he would go over you with the finger roll.

Watch that above video. He had more offensive weapons from the low block than any other player I have ever seen. Kareem had the greatest weapon, but he did not have the variety Wilt had. And in many of those clips, Wilt is going over Kareem, who was 7-4.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If Wilt Chamberlain were born in 1987, he would be the best center in the NBA.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I love this. Wilt would dominate the NBA in any era. He was just THAT good.
    Aaron, Ruth, Mays and Josh Gibson would feast on today's MLB pitching.
    Would be interesting to see Jim Brown going up against today's linebackers.
    Have to wonder if Richard Petty would still be considered the king if he raced today.
    As for Secretariat, that horse was a freaking machine. So big. So strong. So powerful. So majestic. Loved watching him run.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

You have to be joking? Comparing Wilt Chamberlain to David Robinson? Wilt did things and played at a level David wished he could do.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Thread's dead, baby.

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Does anyone really think Wilt would have played Center if he was of the current Era? I think he ends up being a Lebron type player handling the ball and playing facing the basket.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Wilt Chamberlain was 7-1 and played his whole career in the post. LeBron James is 6-8 and played his whole career at the wing or on the point. It's tough to say exactly how a player would translate, but I don't think Chamberlain, who wasn't a particularly good shooter, keep in mind, could play on the wing much less run the point. No 7-foot wing has been particularly successful. Chamberlain, if he grew up in the modern game, could be devastating on the high post, like David Robinson.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Babe Ruth
    Ted Williams
    Walter Johnson
    Johnny Unitas
    Len Bias

Draft saved Draft deleted