1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five athletes you wish were active today and in their prime

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Mar 1, 2013.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Are you saying Wilt would not use today's training?

What about Dr. J? Would he be OK in Today's NBA? He's just 10-12 years in front of Wilt.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Starman was likely going for hyperbole, but D-3 basketball is not very good. My brother played at that level and I had the opportunity, but ran track instead. We were average high school players at best.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Of course not. That training didn't exist in 1967. Dr. J was my favorite player in the '70s and the best player of his era but the game has produced lots of better players since then -- Jordan, Bryant, Magic, etc. The games and the players evolve.

4. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Kaline
    Greenberg
    Gehringer
    Trammell
    Cochrane

Miggy could stay at 3B. Prince and Greenberg could share 1B/DH duties. They'd probably sweep the ALCS easily but hopefully wouldn't go ice-cold waiting for the NLCS to finally end

5. 93Devil

You put a 12 year old Wilt into a middle school today and he is one of the top two or three players in the NBA in 12 years.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Admittedly subjective, but....

Michael Jordan

Wayne Gretzky

Joe Montana

Johnny Unitas

Jack Nicklaus

Damn, this list could be 30-40 deep for me.

7. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

8. 93Devil

Nice

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I was just coming to sports-fan consciousness as Mantle's career was dragging through its decline phase.

The NBA was hardly ever on teevee in the 1960s so Wilt's legendary early and mid-career feats (and the Russell Celtics, in fact) seemed like legend passed down from some sacred tablets. Ditto for Ali in his pre-exile prime and Johnny U in his early-career gunslinger days.

It certainly would have been amazing to see Jackie Robinson in his 3rd-6th seasons in the majors, after Rickey took the handcuffs off and turned him loose.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Goose Tatum.
    Satchel Paige.
    Bob Uecker.
    Jim Bouton.
    Don Meredith.

11. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Rod Carew
    Frank Robinson
    Josh Gibson