1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FIU doesn't issue Miami Herald beat writer a credential

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jake_Taylor, Aug 29, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

They should follow the Gators' lead and bring a backup kicker and a player who hasn't taken a snap all season to the weekly media press conference while playing a top opponent.

2. RecoveringJournalist

Wow, what fucking idiots.

3. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Heck, our beat writer stayed at home instead of driving four hours to the season opener, watched the game on TV and filed this ...

http://www.news-journalonline.com/article/20140830/SPORTS/140839903/1080/SPORTS?Title=Bethune-Cookman-beats-FIU-for-2nd-straight-year-14-12

4. RecoveringJournalist

I covered a lot of small colleges early in my career. I made some pretty crazy requests for access and was almost never told no. I wanted to ride to a game on the team bus. Sure. Sit in the locker room during a pregame speech? Done. (I agreed not to write what the coach said, but that was hardly the point.) If one of their kids got drafted, the SID had me on the phone with him within the hour even though it was no longer his job. Of course, this was the same place where the coach would call to tell me if one of his kids got arrested or if a kid was suspended, would tell me the reason (OTR of course)

One of the football teams I covered would call me and ask what kind of a sandwich I wanted from the place that was catering. He would get me two, put my name on them and put them in the fridge next to a six-pack of whatever soda I requested. I wasn't the only person he did that for. There were three of us who covered them regularly, and he took care of us. He would say, "I'm asking the staff what they want, so why shouldn't I ask you?" Holy shit he was a great guy.

At schools like that, the SID and the coach would thank of for coming to the games.

All of it was unnecessary, but it was appreciated.

These days, when newspaper staffs are looking for a reason to skip covering something a school like FIU just looks like a bunch of fucking idiots.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Sit in the stands and write? What if you can't get a sufficient wireless connection? Then what, Mr. Think Tank?

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Anything you write off a teevee or radio broadcast of the game, you have to directly attribute (EACH) quote to the originating broadcast station.

Not,

but...

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Oh, they're going to buy a ticket AND we don't have to provide parking AND we don't have to have free hot dogs out AND we can use the media seating now and convert them into luxury suites AND they're still going to provide free coverage of the team and university?

We're in!

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Have more than four fans noticed yet?

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Isn't it also a copyright violation to write a game story based on a (copyrighted) telecast?

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Not if it comes from a press conference.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised in that situation if the SID was sending quotes back to him.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

You mean like most every prep writer in the country does most every night?
    You turn your phone into a hotspot and write it from the parking lot or write it and send from a McDonalds.

Draft saved Draft deleted