1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FIU doesn't issue Miami Herald beat writer a credential

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jake_Taylor, Aug 29, 2014.

1. awriter

awriter Active Member

Funny that when you get through the vitriol, you find this:

"The Sun Sentinel welcomes civil dialogue about our stories ..."

2. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

"Bethune friggin' Cookman?"

3. daytonadan1983

Here's what made "Bethune friggin Cookman" vs. FIU kind of interesting to me: Miami Herald didn't have a writer there. Daytona Beach's writer stayed behind, wrote off television and was assisted by "Bethune friggin Cookman" sports communications for post-game quotes. So you had an FBS game in a major media market that had no newspapers covering it. Do us media communications folk need to start being sincere when we thank writers for coming to the games?

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Thanks, BC SID! I know how to shake up a room ...

5. daytonadan1983

Since I know you're not a douchebag, I'll just use this thread to start a running joke.

From here on out, you're "Jr Frigging Shotglass."....

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I take it the Sun Sentinel, Palm Beach Post and Miami New Times all never cover Florida International? Now would be a good time for the New Times to consider jumping on board, then producing an investigation about the thin-skinned athletics department after the season.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes, because I'm sure there's such an enormous demand for FIU sports coverage.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

David Hyde approves of the Herald's move.

bit.ly/1qTbwr6

Nothing in the SS's archives that it covered the game.

On the Herald's website. I would have stopped at "Saturday night.":

FIU Panthers botch potential winning field-goal attempt in loss to Bethune-Cookman

From Miami Herald Wire Services

Quentin Williams threw a touchdown in the fourth quarter to help Bethune-Cookman beat host FIU 14-12 in the season opener for both teams Saturday night.

With 12:26 left to play, Williams hit Frank Brown for a 55-yard touchdown pass that put the Wildcats up 14-6.

FIU’s Richard Leonard returned a punt 71 yards to the Bethune-Cookman 7, setting up a 5-yard touchdown catch by T.J. Lowder with 5:15 left. The Panthers’ two-point conversion attempt failed.

Freshman quarterback Alex McGough drove FIU down to the Wildcats’ 29 in the final seconds, but they fumbled the field-goal attempt as time ran out.

Williams had 149 yards passing for Bethune-Cookman.

McGough finished with 98 yards passing and one touchdown after taking over for E.J. Hillard after the first quarter.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

They ran the entire wire story as a service to Bethune-Cookman's fans (B-C is located in Daytona Beach).

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Butch Ward at Poynter raises a terrific point:
    If the paper really wanted to make the statement, the beat reporter would have bought a ticket to the game and written the story from the stands. Just because you don't have access to the press box, players or coaches doesn't mean you can't do your job.

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/266669/journalists-are-losing-access-but-the-public-still-expects-the-story/

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Um, actually it does, when you can't get their perspective on what happened in the game.

That column reads like someone who has spent a little too much time in the think-tank and not enough time actually doing the work. He actually said that, like government, if the athletes don't talk to you, then talk to the people affected by it. Um, dummy, that means a bunch of fan reaction stories, which, while they MAY make good sidebars, aren't a substitute for the actual nuts and bolts over what happened in the game, nor allows the reporter to actually get information on the team that the fan might want to know.

He lost me when quoted the guy who said baseball photogs don't need to be down the baselines, that they can shoot from the stands. Sure, to get a different shot on occasion. But what if they're forced to do so. On a regular basis because the team is being a douche?

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Poynter proves its irrelevance to actual working journalists, Take No. 438.

What's the point in going to the game if none of the advantages to going to the game are available? This decision clearly was a standoff, and now you want the newspaper to actually pay the football team for its thin-skinned idiocy? At best, watch it on TV.

Draft saved Draft deleted