1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FIU doesn't issue Miami Herald beat writer a credential

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jake_Taylor, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

And you know the announced attendance is inflated 25-30 percent.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah. Most people down there don't give a shit about UM, much less FIU. The school needs the Herald a hell of a lot more than the Herald needs to cover FIU. And if this Pelegrin angle is the reason, that is total horseshit. Fuck that guy.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Florida International doesn't need The Miami Herald. And the Herald doesn't need FIU. But the school has some level of gain from the relationship, while the Herald simply wasted resources.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Actually, although FIU is low-profile everywhere else, the interest in South Florida
    is not small. It's the local public school for the masses. Think UCF 20 years ago.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The only thing I'd run in Sunday's paper is one paragraph with the leading rusher/passer and the final score. Oh, and note the (dreadful) attendance. Good to see some strong management backing of DJN here.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That would be fine.

Herald management hasn't been called "strong" in years.
    They should frame your quote.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Unless of course, Bethune-Cookman wins. Then you blow that thing out.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

David was an intern when I was there. I wonder how he suddenly pissed off a team after 25 years in the market.

9. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

But as the Herald said: You can't allow the institution to choose who it wants as a beat writer. If the current guy is doing a good enough job by the paper's standards, then it should stick with him (by this course of action).

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Cookman is the betting favorite, FWIW.

11. Dash 7

Dash 7 Member

Apparently FIU canceled their football media day because Neal was going to be there.

I don't even have words...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dave-hyde-blog/sfl-hyde5-how-dumb-is-fiu-to-ban-herald-reporter-20140829,0,3149506.story

12. All of the students and alumni are at the Miami (FL) game.

Draft saved Draft deleted