1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fitch Ratings: 'Several cities' could have no daily paper as soon as 2010

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Newspapers still have a market. Newspapers are run by complete and utter morons. Thus the business is doomed. Will other newspapers emerge? Doubtful. It takes a lot to pay for a printing press and the delivery machine.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

I think smaller communities are going to fare pretty well. They seem to be riding the storm very well. I can't think of one major metropolis that won't have a daily publication. I definitely can see overlapping markets combining their talents with smaller publications.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

But the smallish metropolises are screwed? ;)

(Or would that be metropoli?)

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Call me stupid or an eternal optimist, but there's one aspect of the electronic future I've never quite been able to grasp.

Look through today's newspaper and count how many locally produced ads there are. So, when Nowheresville loses its daily, how does Sam's Discount House of Futons get out the word that it's got a two-day sale that starts today? I just don't see your typical retired couple in their 60s logging onto their computer twice a day to see if anyone sent them an e-mail advertising buy-one, get-one-free cantaloupes at the market down the street.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think a paper will go with a free throw and drop its circulation department before closing up shop.

Save a ton of costs and maybe even bust a union or two...

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Well, today's 20- and 30-somethings are going to be that retired couple in their 60s. They've grown up with the Internet. They've never subscribed to a newspaper.

They will be definitely be logging on to ... something ... to get their advertising and coupons.

Draft saved Draft deleted