1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fitch Ratings: 'Several cities' could have no daily paper as soon as 2010

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 4, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Given that we've speculated on this possibility before, it's not that surprising. But to actually see it in print snaps it into focus.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003918781

2. DCguy

DCguy Member

Well, that's just wonderful, isn't it?

3. So if that happens does someone start over and do it the right, fiscally responsible way?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think people are going to be very surprised how this will happen in the bigger cities before it happens at smaller papers.

5. Mizzougrad96

Sure... If you're looking for a huge tax write-off.

6. I mean start from the ground up. On the cheap. I mean, someone is going to think they can step in and fill the void, right?

7. VJ

VJ Member

I think certain markets will be protected to a certain degree (NYC, DC, Chicago), but it's the cities on notch below that are going to be the hardest I think like Detroit and Cleveland.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Cleveland is a notch above.

9. Mizzougrad96

Uhh... Not unless they're incredibly rich and incredibly stupid.

10. See, I think someone would be.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This is where journalism becomes web-only and the idea that you can make a career out of journalism ceases to exist.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I agree with the former, but not necessarily with the latter. Yes, the idea that you can step out of j-school and work for a large organization ceases to exist. The idea that you could become an entrepreneur, making you own news site focused on a particular topic or locality, is out in force. There is going to be a demand for news and information that will need to be filled. The question is how, and how the economic model would work, enough so that someone could make a living (though given what a lot of smaller papers pay, the economics might not be as hard to match as you might think). The transition is wrenching, and I don't mean to minimize its impact. But something will replace it. It's just not going to look like what we know today.

Draft saved Draft deleted