1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fistfight at Washington Post?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Nov 2, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh, no, I agree completely. It's why I said I can hope that was the reason.

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

The Paul Robeson thread.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I recall at my first full time gig there were fights almost on a daily basis. I don't know how I got spared from getting in the shitter, but I did. Tensions were extremely high. Definitely glad that got out of there.

4. I recall at my first full time gig there were fights almost on a daily basis. I don't know how I got spared from getting in the shitter, but I did. Tensions were extremely high. Definitely glad that got out of there.

Which JRC property?

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

As is evident, I've been around, but I'm trying to think if I've ever seen something escalate to physical in all my times in newsrooms, and to the best of my recollection, the answer is now.

I've seen, and been involved in, some very nasty arguments. But nothing physical that I can recall (although there are a few composing people over the years I would have loved to have punched, including the guy who used to sing "Late again!" whenever we missed deadline.).

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Worthy of a punch, I'd say!

7. satchmo

satchmo Member

Never seen it come to blows, but I've seen more than my fair share of grandstanding and backing down on Friday nights during football season. Saw a guy in his mid-30s ask our wire editor (who had to be pushing 70) if he thought he was "too old for an ass whooping," but, as I stated earlier, never actually seen fists fly.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Where's Roy "Damn" Mercer when we need him to ask "How big a boy are you?"

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Sounds like a line from a Schwarzenegger movie.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Can't say I'm surprised. Never been involved in one myself, but have seen some stuff. And, as others have said, this is hardly the only business where it happens.

Adults need to learn to control their tempers. For me, when I feel I'm about to lose it, I walk outside, physically get away from the situation, until I can cool down.

I just hope I'm on furlough the day an angry reader walks in with a gun and starts firing, the way some guy did at a post office a few years back.

11. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

These things gotta happen every five years or so, ten years. Helps to get rid of the bad blood. Been ten years since the last one. You know, you gotta stop them at the beginning. Like they should have stopped Hitler at Munich, they should never let him get away with that, they was just asking for trouble.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

NICE!!!!!!!

He'll be on 'em like gum on a park bench. Or like ants on a spilled snow cone.

Draft saved Draft deleted