1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fistfight at Washington Post?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Nov 2, 2009.

1. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I'm not sure why this is news, honestly. Outside the WaPo, that is. Everyone should maintain a sense of workplace decorum at all times, of course. But shit happens. People lose it over stupid shit, especially in high-pressure environments. The first newsroom I worked in, one night a guy threw a stapler at another guy. He got written up for it but it's not like somebody got shanked in the parking lot.

I'm sure some other guy in America got punched and/or called a cocksucker at work somewhere else that day and it didn't make the papers, is all I'm saying.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes, but it IS the paper so it is going make THE paper.

I don't think the Post runs this if one of those others doesn't grab it. The Washingtonian for years has had a Post Watch column full of gossip about the Post. All major metros deal with alternative pubs that love to yank their chains whenever they can. Often without reason. Give 'em a reason and they're going to yank your ass to death.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Crash must've called the ump a cocksucker.

4. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

You're right, of course, but I think there's something to Weingarten's theory that many folks in newsrooms around the country -- especially a diminished giant like WaPo Style -- are on edge and a little pissy all the time, especially when it's the end of the night and they're putting out what they consider an inferior product.

Doesn't exactly excuse attacking a coworker, physically or verbally, but it's an explanation.

Which venerable SJ member has the sig line quoted from Studio 60? From the Judd Hirsch speech, just before he gets canned at the start of the series. Something along the lines of: "Art is getting its ass kicked by commerce and it's making us into cheap punks."

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Hey, Hoo.

Didja know your namesake team is playing for a New Yprk Section II Class D title on Saturday.

Unbeaten Hoosick Falls (HOO FALLS) is playing Rensselaer.

Get there early.

6. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

I couldn't begin to guess what sport or level that is. Football? High school? College?

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I'm surprised there aren't more fistfights with all the furloughs, cuts, and pay freezes despite a higher work load. Some people have families to support.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sounds like just another college football Saturday back in the day at the AP Sports.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Punching somebody isn't going to make anything any better for my family.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

At the Herald, we had the wife of one employee deck another (female) employee in the newsroom. We had one ordinarily mild-mannered columnist (moi) tell the editor-in-chief that "you're lucky the Brady Bill was passed while I was out of the country" over changes he made in one of my Olympics stories.
    It's a newspaper, people. Stuff like this, while it doesn't reflect all that well on the participants, is just part of the game, so shrug it off. You want workplace decorum? Try the insurance industry.

11. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

this is the second-worst thread i have ever seen on this board

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Second to wha?

Draft saved Draft deleted