1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

fishing tournaments a sport?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DocTalk, Jun 20, 2012.

1. I've watched a few of these on TV - good programming! Some of these guys are bonafide characters. I'd pack lunch and try to jump on a boat with an up-and-comer or something. And let's be real here, however you want to nitpick "fishing-as-sport," there's been awesome fishing tales in the annals over the years, some of Hemingway's "Nick" short stories included. The annual shark fishing tourney off Martha's Vineyard has spawned some great stories too. Come to think of it, "Monster Shark 2012" -- just googled it -- is right around the corner and I just might pitch that puppy!

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I was in a high school today that has square footage devoted to the team and, I think, they somehow take fishing as a class.

Not to be snarky...

http://hokiebass.com/

[​IMG]

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Competitive bass fishing is growing wildly in the collegiate and high school areas, with scholarships for winners of tournaments, state championships and the works.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If it can turn a profit, UVA might get a fishing team.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's a sport, exactly, but there is often lots of reader interest in fishing -- usually more than anyone in the office would ever suspect.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Like this one? http://atuva.student.virginia.edu/organization/virginiabassfishingteam

Club, though. No profits.

WriteThinking is correct, too.

7. That 1 Guy

That 1 Guy Member

Fishing tournaments like these are big news and do a good job of filling space. Especially if you're from or around La Crosse, where all the WIAA sports are finished until football/volleyball. Not to mention how big outdoors sports are in that state in the first place.

To echo other posters, a college or high school around here recently has, or is in the process of, starting a bass fishing team.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

This may well be one of the top line lines of the year.

It encapsulates it perfectly!

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

And that's a story because . . . ?

She's a woman now, just like the rest of them.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

no accounting for bad taste in sports entertainment choices

11. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Yep -- just another woman with XY chromosomes.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

No, but those people want to read about the games.

I am not a fan, and I know in some areas of the country there are not a lot of fans, but they do exist, taste ot not.

Draft saved Draft deleted