1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Firsts in your life

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Feb 12, 2012.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Where where you when the video for "Hungry Like a Wolf" was shot?

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

--First song I saw on MTV: Walk Like an Egyptian - The Bangals
    --First booze to get me puking: some sort of brandy mixed with Crystal Light (I was 14)
    --First car: 1986 Plymouth Duster. Got it when I was 16 in 1993.
    --First job: paid: Taco Bell at 16 years old; unpaid: weekend co-host for metal show on AM radio at 15
    --First concert: Cornerstone Festival, Bushnell, Ill. 1991.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I was the one making sure the table was flipped properly.

And spike, was that gratefruit Crystal Light?

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel any better, I remember the first song when 99.5 changed formats in January 1984.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

-- First song I saw on MTV: don't remember. Might have been a Pat Benatar song.
    --First time I puked after drinking booze: Senior year of high school (had drunk some screwdrivers and a few other hard liquors that I don't remember)
    --First car: too embarrassed to type it. Model year was 1974 and it rhymed with Kremlin.
    --First job: Newspaper delivery boy.
    -- First Real Job: Dishwasher/busboy at Friendly's restaurant..
    --First concert: Survivor (Eye of the Tiger tour) opening for REO Speedwagon (Good Trouble tour) -- Meadowlands Arena 1982.
    -- First concert without a parent: Springsteen & the E Street Band 1985 Giants Stadium
    -- First time I got into a fight (and lost) -- Sixth grade (1981)

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Off hand, I don't remember, but I am guessing Lemonade

7. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

First car - '92 Dodge Spirit
    First CD - U2, Rattle and Hum
    First job - stock at a grocery store
    First R-rated movie I saw in theater - Disorganized Crime
    First MLB game - Tigers-Brewers at the corner, 1985
    First NFL game - Lions-Packers, kickoff weekend 1998 at Lambeau, Sanders and Favre were previous years' co-MVPs
    First time puking from alcohol - Busch Light (in the dorms freshman year of college, GF and I went to visit a friend of hers across campus and they took off to talk in private about something, leaving me and several members of the US Olympic boxing team alone in her room. Bored, we raided her fridge and the only thing she had was a 30 of Busch Light. I stupidly tried to go beer for beer with them. Even better, it was Parents Weekend. I was still buzzed when my folks showed up the next morning)

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

• First song I saw on MTV: Taco's Putting on the Ritz.
    • First time I puked after drinking booze: 1991, Purple Passion.
    • First car: 1984 Oldsmobile that reeked like cigarette smoke.
    • First job: Pet store.
    • First Real Job: Stocking beer -- great exercise and was in the shape of my life.
    • First concert: Michael Jackson, Giants Stadium, 1984.
    • First concert without a parent: Stones, 1994
    • First time I got into a fight (and lost): Fourth grade (I picked it, too).

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

--First legal drinks: a six-pack of Busch bottles in 30 minutes, purchased in Knoxville when drinking age was 18 or 19 in Tennessee.
    --First nookie: On a farm road in North Carolina in the back of a 1969 Chevelle.
    --First journalism salary: $250/week.
    --First apartment rent: $250/month.
    --First credit card purchase: a $7 tie from Penney's for a job interview in college.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Herbert - the Jacksons at Giants Stadium in 1984 was my first concert, too.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

--First song I saw on MTV: Not MTV, but the old HBO Jukebox, I think it was Don't Stand So Close To Me, The Police.
    --First booze to get me puking: Yukon Jack. (Did seven shots in five minutes. One blackout and about 10 vomit sessions later, I vowed never to touch it again.)
    --First car: 1984 Buick Regal. Was good to me, I wasn't good to it. My sister broke the front bumper when she began driving. For the last year or so of its life, I had the bumper propped up by a log wedged between the stricken bumper and the body of the car.
    --First job: Paperboy at Milwaukee Sentinel, 1985.
    --First concert: It depends. The first one that was a choice of mine was Hall & Oates, Milwaukee Summerfest, 1983.

But my parents dragged me to several Summerfest shows in the 70s when the stages were much, much cheaper and more open to the public than the premium acts are now. I remember sitting at the main stage in the late 70s for a show that was ultimately cancelled. I think it was supposed to be Diana Ross, but I'm not certain of that.

I can recall being in the old main stage a few other times, but don't remember the acts. I'm sure I saw all kinds of late 70s/early 80s stars of varying degrees of quality at the other stages, but don't remember any, besides maybe Chuck Mangione.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Fuck MTV, what was the first song you saw on Night Tracks?

Draft saved Draft deleted