1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First X Games death - what, if anything, should change?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ringer, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Are we just calling for a cancellation of the winter x games or the summer too?

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I'm not saying cancel them but I don't think it's unreasonable to make a rule requiring someone know how to ride a snowmobile before they enter the competition. You let shit like that go and it looks like you're selling "anything can happen ... anything" rather than "watch these amazingly talented, skilled people compete."

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It only looks that way because that's exactly what ESPN is doing.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He was a four-time X-Games medalist.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Where were the calls to ban the Olympics in 2010?

www.nytimes.com/2010/02/13/sports/olympics/13luge.html?pagewanted=all

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

ESPN had some executive on SportsCenter to talk about the death and it just struck me as being incredibly disingenuous.

I don't think ESPN had any obligation to cover this as anything other than a news story and that guy being on there, like he's in full damage control mode, just struck me as being very strange...

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

ESPN is a programing network based on partnerships with events they broadcast. To expect them to be anything other than a stakeholder in the events is to misunderstand the nature of their business. At their most basic level, ESPN is in the infomercial business and the entertainment business. They are the QVC/HomeShoppingNetwork of sporting entertainment.

8. ESPN owns the X Games... this is problematic in a number of ways that partnerships with other events are not. Competitive balance issues, who gets invited, what events are included, safety issues, judging and on and on -- these are problems unique to an event that is owned, operated, promoted and for the enrichment of the owner create conflicts of interests unique in the sports world, to my knowledge.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

As I said, shit happens. If they willingly enter the contests, they're assuming the risk.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I guess I'm not sure how that set of parameters differs materially from any other sanctioning body.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yet we have people who think football should be banned.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

"Shaaaaanna, they bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash."

Draft saved Draft deleted