1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First two quarterbacks drafted by year - rank 'em

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Don't they already have more titles? Isn't it like 4-2 right now and they are still at their prime? They may not get to the total Super Bowls, though.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, that would be 11 total from the 1983 class. Wait... Elway was 2-3? Right? I guess that's 10...

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Yeah, 10: Elway 5, Kelly 4, Marino 1.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Amazing how many horrendous QB misses there've been.

Is there any other position tougher to project? Tom Brady was the 199th pick, meanwhile guys like Jamarcus Russell, David Carr and Tim Couch were the No. 1 overall pick. Go figure.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think it's quite as bad anymore. How many teams have first-rounders as starters?

Stafford
    Rodgers
    Ponder
    Cutler
    Smith
    Bradford
    Palmer
    P. Manning
    E. Manning
    Sanchez
    Rivers
    Ryan
    Flacco
    Roethlisberger
    Tannehill
    Luck
    RG3
    Weeden
    Quinn
    Vick
    Gabbert

That's 21 and I'm sure I'm forgetting someone... At least another handful are second-rounders...

If you want a starting quarterback, you're going to almost certainly need to use a high pick. Obviously, that's not a guarantee that they're going to be good.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm not really sure, 'cause if we were to go position by position i'm not sure how often the first two players taken at any of 'em have turned out to be 'great.' the nfl draft as a whole is an incredible crap shoot. but the qb's get the most attention and notoriety 'cause its the most important position and those picked high have so much invested in them. its an intriguing study, really.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Gosh, Mizzou, you forgot Newton. Anyway, the list of non-first rounders I came up with.
    Brady
    Schaub
    Skelton
    Fitzpatrick
    Freeman
    Hasselbeck
    Romo
    Wilson

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You forgot the best one: Drew Brees was a second rounder.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You're excluding Cam Newton and Josh Freeman, at least. So that bumps your list to 23, which makes sense because Michael_Gee's list is eight but he forgot Drew Brees, as Stoney notes.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And picking Culpepper over Brees

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

BTW, I'd say categorizing Quinn as a starter might be bit of a stretch. I think I'll wait to see if he can hold the job for more than one week, considering he hasn't been able to hold it anywhere else he's been.

The guy who's been the Chiefs starter up until this point, Matt Cassell, was a 7th round pick. Wouldn't be surprised if he's back in the starting role soon.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Freeman was a first-rounder.

Draft saved Draft deleted