1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First time NHL credentials

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingchros, Dec 11, 2009.

1. kingchros

kingchros New Member

Hi All,

I signed up at media.nhl.com last week so that I can request a credential to an upcoming game, but more than a week later have heard nothing. No e-mail response/confirmation or anything. It's getting to the point where it's pretty ridiculous now, and they don't give any other way to contact them.

Has anybody else dealt with this? Does anybody have a phone number at the NHL media relations department who I can call to check on the status?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Why don't you contact the home team? I have never gone through NHLmedia.com to get one of the few credentials I have ever needed. I either contacted the Leafs or the visiting team if I needed one of their players.

3. kingchros

kingchros New Member

I did contact the team (Boston Bruins), but since it is the outdoor game at Fenway Park the PR person referred me back to this media.nhl site and said she had no direct contact for the NHL person handling the requests. (Seems odd)

I've never run into this much red tape before.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I would think single-game credentials would be hard to come by for that game unless you're a national outlet.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Don't know what the deadline was for this season, but last year's deadline for credential applications for the Detroit-Chicago game at Wrigley was Nov. 28.

If you were applying last week, could you have missed the deadline?

6. Top Prospect

Top Prospect New Member

That deadline has long passed

7. kingchros

kingchros New Member

Thanks for the tips, somebody else who is credentialed to this game e-mailed me saying the deadline was three weeks ago. I was shocked to hear the requests were due to early, more than a month beforehand. But I guess that's how it is.

Trying alternative measures to get in touch with them now.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's a special game, and even a Nov. 15 deadline seems to be later than normal for an event that takes a lot of prep time.

Hopefully it works out for you.

9. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

To echo what has been said, I'm pretty sure you had to go through the NHL to get credentialed for the Winter Classic. I'm curious what the auxillary seating will be like. Fenway's press box isn't especially large.

Draft saved Draft deleted