1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First time newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joshua Reese, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Joshua Reese

Joshua Reese New Member

I am trying to do that now for the NFL season, I've been reaching out to papers in opposing markets to see if they need help covering the team while they are in town. So far I haven't been able to find anything, which is why I have been giving real thought about starting at the bottom and trying to make it back to a pro market.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Be ready for anything. In the last few months, I've had some high school football, but have also covered two triathlons, which is two more triathlons than I had ever witnessed.

Otherwise, What Ace Said.

Liut likes this.
  3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Papers either staff NFL games themselves or go with AP, so using a new freelancer is not particularly attractive to most editors.

Your best bet for NFL is to look at the roster and pitch a story to mid-size and smaller papers focusing on a player from their area or a college in their area (especially a new player or someone stepping up).

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Don't try to pitch the Bismarck Tribune or any for the Forum Communications papers about a Carson Wentz story. Think they have it covered.

Draft saved Draft deleted