1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

first time for everything

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Sep 21, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Covered a high school game tonight.
    Half the lights went out in the first quarter, and the officials decided to keep playing.
    QB threw an interception on the first play after the officials made the decision. It was to the dark side of the moon, I mean dark side of the field and I mean it was just a perfect toss, just to the wrong team. I was on the sidelines and I couldn't even make the players out.
    I don't think I have ever covered a game where they kept playing despite only half the field being lit.
    Anyone else ever seen that?

2. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I've heard of a basketball game rained out because of a leak in the roof of a gym...

Did anyone score after the lights went out? How'd the coaches and ADs react to the game continuing? You'd think after the interception the refs might get the idea and postpone the game until noon tomorrow, or wait until they fix the lights.

3. joe

joe Active Member

Seen what? Huh?

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

No, I've never seen that.

It's patently unfair to keep playing under those circumstances.

5. Unfair to who? Both teams?

If it's unfair to both, how does one have the advantage over the other?

I guess you could argue it's unfair that no other teams or players they compete against for scholarships have to perform under the same circumstances ... but for that game, both teams have to adapt.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

In my second year at university, my school (Western) was playing the worst team in the league (York). I was part of the radio coverage.

Western returned a punt for a long touchdown en route to a 64-0 victory. On the play, a York player suffered a neck injury right at midfield. They called an ambulance, and while the player was being strapped to a spinal board, the referees made Western kick the extra point to move the game along.

Never seen anything like that before or since.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This post is fabulous on so many levels. From the "university" to the summation line.
    Well, was the extra point good?

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Happened at a game I was at a couple years ago, and it almost got me thrown off the sideline.
    Near the end of the third quarter, a couple sets of lights go out. A fuse blew or something. The game stops, then after a few minutes the coaches get together and say there's enough light to play, and the game resumes. On the first play after the delay, there's an offsides call. When the referees huddle up, though, they wave it off because they're missing one of their crew. Seems one of the refs is an electrician, and he's up on top of the hill helping the guys trying to fix the lights.
    This had been a goofy game anyway (couple weird plays, some turnovers, that sort of thing) and this was the latest incident. So when I overhear the ref's explanation to the coaches, I laugh out loud. The ref turns to me and says, "One more word and YOU'RE outta here!"
    Guess he thought I was a stat guy for the team or something. I'd have laughed again, but the last thing I needed was a coach pissed at me because I got his team a 15-yard penalty for chuckling.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Fish,

The extra-point was good.

Draft saved Draft deleted