1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First time across the Plains

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MrMojave, May 30, 2006.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

It's been close to 20 years since I've been to Nye's.

I usually stick to St. Paul. ;D

2. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

"Hell, I even thought I was dead 'til I found out it was just that I was in Nebraska."

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Hey, I used to hang at O'G's quite a bit back in the day! ;D And Plum's across the street.

Don't forget about Tiff's down on Ford Parkway -- used to shoot lots of pool at that place.

Zeke, all the places I hang at now are pull tabs, karaoke and meat raffles. :D Just don't get to go out much these days tho. :'(

One of the cheapest places to drink in the Cities is Patrick's on Larpenteur. If I remember right, a tap beer is still under $2. ;D

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Oh, do I have stories about Patrick's!!! ;D :-X

Don't forget about Whiskey Junction and the Cabooze if you like the blues!

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ahhh, Reggie's Skyway Lounge...

In with my brother and his roommate and brother wants to go. Now. Roomie says wait a minute as a typical dancer slowly crawls across the stage toward his money... bumps, grinds, plays, twists for 30 seconds in front of him... puts on a pretty fascinating show for the Skyway.
    Roomie jumps up and says "OK. That was worth a buck. We can go now."

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Last time I was at Nye's was during a bachelor party. Also my last trip to Stand Up Franks.

O'Gara's, Plums and Tiffs took an awful lot of my money during college. Visited all three during the same bachelor party weekend a couple years ago and it's good to know not much has changed.

And Rosie, you forgot to mention the added advantage of dinner at the Broiler. If you need to score some quality weed, Macalester is just across the street.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

You could always try this:

Instead of taking I-70 at the Utah split on I-15, keep going north and drive up and through Utah, into Wyoming on I-80, then up to South Dakota (Black Hills, Deadwood/Sturgis and Badlands beat the cornfields as far as scenery is concerned) than into Minnesota on I-90.

My wife and I drove from that route for our first real vacation many moons ago. We spent a weekend on the Lake Superior shore near Two Harbors and visited a bunch of places and friends we knew from a previous life.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

OK, here's something that's always puzzled me. If you were going to make a living running drugs (which I DO NOT advocate, hi NSA!), why would you ever speed? I'd be such a model driver that you'd think I was plucked from an insurance company training film.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with the Black Hills. They're gorgeous.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice drive... Two Harbors is cool...
    BUT...

Was that "previous life" as a copy editor???

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

You and me both. Stay 10 mph under the speed limit, signal your turns and keep your tail lights fixed ... you should be golden.

Of course, most people on the business end of said profession aren't exactly Rhodes Scholars.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

First time across ZEE PLAINS! ZEE PLAINS!

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted