1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First time across the Plains

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MrMojave, May 30, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

1) Must have been a small car. I was driving an SUV the first time, so I stopped four times for gas on that stretch alone.
    2) 11 hours for 878 miles averages out to 79.8 mph.

Including two stops for gas (no stops for eats?), and the propensity for Texas state troopers to be on that road, especially slightly east and west of San Antonio, I call shenanigans on that 10:59. No effin' way.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

More threadjacking.

If you drive from Houston to LA, El Paso is the halfway point.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Utter threadjack:
    The distance from Texarkana to El Paso is greater than the distance from Texarkana to Chicago.

4. Armchair_QB

Except Hope.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

1. 2005 Mustang. Not sure of the mileage on it, but I'm guessing a range of about 350 miles.
    2. No on in my family drive under 80 mph on the interstate. He probably set the cruise at 88 (and prolly faster), hoped the detector would protect him and went.
    3. And i'm sure it was mcdonalds or wendy's on the way out there.

at 88, that's just under 10 hours for the stretch. the other 59 minutes were probably for traffic and stops.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

So many misconceptions, so little time (not just you, MM). I know that stretch of road pretty well, so here's some more info:

Eastern Colorado and western Nebraska is pretty much nothingness. You're welcome to try driving 85-90 down I-80, but I wouldn't recommend it anywhere east of North Platte. (An aside - don't gas up in Ogallala if you can avoid it.) The speed limit in Nebraska on I-80 is 75, and the combination of steeper speeding fines and construction zones don't exactly make pushing the 5-mph buffer zone worth your while.

As for the drug running remarks, they're not without merit. Drug busts along I-80 are far from infrequent, and they usually do involve vehicles with California, Nevada or Arizona plates. State troopers like to sit in the median or at the top of on-ramps (just FYI).

Radio station options are somewhat limited, but there are ESPN and Fox Sports stations in NP and Kearney, if you enjoy such programming. Stop in a Runza if you have the chance. The title sandwich is Good Eats, and if you're not that adventurous, they make their burgers from actual hamburger, not pre-processed patties. Other places worth trying are Chances R in Aurora, Malara's -- HIGHLY recommended --, Little Roma and Sushi Ichiban, all in Omaha.

Things to do - that might be more difficult. Not sure when you're driving out, but museums are the most numerous. Stuhr Museum in Grand Island is worth a shot, as is the one in Minden, whose name escapes me. Stuhr has vintage baseball games, 19th-century equipment, rules, etc., throughout the summer, so that might be something to look out for.

Once you're through Nebraska, beware the Iowa Sky Nazis and the Black Hole of Des Moines. Both have been scourges of my trips between Omaha and Chicago. Any questions?

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Thanks for the votes of confidence, Zeke and A_QB! :D

First, you'll want to check the MnDot website for road construction in the Cities. There are two seasons here in Minnesota, winter and road construction. http://www.dot.state.mn.us/ Construction hang-ups in the Metro can be a large pain in the arse.

Things to do:

* Mall of America in Bloomington. Just so you can say you were there, personally, I'm not a fan of the place.

* Take a drive down to Hastings and Red Wing. You'll follow the Mississippi River and see some of the best scenery! Both towns are very scenic as well, lots of little shops, bars and eating places. Take a drive a little north to Stillwater, along the St. Croix river. Also very cool.

* Science Museum in downtown St. Paul. They have a mummy!

* St. Paul Saints at Midway Stadium. I love my minor league team! And they aren't in the Northern League this year. A Saints game is one of the most fun baseball games you will get to see! www.spsaints.com

* Minnehaha Falls. History here, the Longfellow House is nearby. Absolutely gorgeous. Right across the river from St. Paul (across the Ford Bridge).

* Golf at Highland Park in St. Paul. If you golf, play 18 holes at this municipal golf course. It's just been redone.

* Como Park. If you like flowers and plants, you HAVE to see the Como Park Conservatory. Built around the turn of the century, it's a favorite place for wedding party photos. This is one of my favorite places.

* Walker Art Museum, Minneapolis. Get your dose of high culture at this fine art museum.

* Minnesota State Fair in late August. You didn't say when you were making your trip, so if it's late August, you HAVE to make it to the second-largest state fair in the country. Ride the Old Mill, eat cheese curds and a pronto pup! I never miss the fair!!!!!!

Places to eat:

* Snuffy's Malt Shop in St. Paul. Go to the original on Cleveland and St. Clair (PM me for specific directions). Excellent food and old-fashioned atmosphere.

* The Lexington in St. Paul. Older restaurant, excellent food and service.

* Mancini's Steak House in St. Paul. You have to eat there once!!! Lots of sports history here, talk to the owners!

* Key's Cafe, several locations. Homestyle food and LOTS of it! If you are on any sort of diet, forget it. Let's put it this way, you get a slab of butter on your table, not those little pre-packaged pats. (At least that's how it used to be, I haven't been there for a while, but I'll be very disappointed if they quit doing that!) The original is on Raymond just off University in St. Paul.

I've just scratched the surface here. You can always check out www.exploreminnesota.com for more ideas and info.

Have fun!!!!

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And Tahoe

9. Armchair_QB

You forgot to mention The Lamplighter and the Skyway Lounge.

10. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

:mad: ::)

No I didn't. Didn't forget Casey's either. :p ;)

11. Armchair_QB

If you want a rum and coke you can read the Wall Street Journal thru, pay a visit to Stand Up Franks in Minneapolis.

However, don't be alarmed when they frisk you at the door.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Zeke, Sunffy's? What are you talking about!? Snuffy's, that I was talking about, is in the Mac-Groveland neighborhood, right by Groveland Elementary School next to Pro Pharmacy. There's a couple of 'em around now, but the original is where ya gotta go. :)

Don't forget about the St. Clair Broiler, corner of St. Clair and Snelling.

And right down the street from there, on Snelling, is my favorite music store, Cheapo Records.

Don't know about Big Olaf's, don't get to Cedar-Riverside very often.

Draft saved Draft deleted