1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First, there was Romeo and Juliet. Then West Side Story. Now ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 11, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

COMMERCE CITY, Colo. -- A couple arguing about which gang their 4-year-old toddler should join caused a public disturbance that resulted in the father's arrest, Commerce City police said Thursday, reported KMGH-TV in Denver.

On Saturday, Joseph Manzanares stormed into a video rental store where his girlfriend worked, threatened to kill her and knocked over several video displays and even a computer, Commerce City police Sgt. Joe Sandoval said.

After he ran out of the store, police were called and the 19-year-old was arrested at his home.

His girlfriend told police that they had been arguing about the upbringing of their son and which gang he should belong to. The teen mother, who is black, told authorities she is a member of the Crips, police said. Manzanares is Hispanic and belongs to the Westside Ballers gang, the woman told police.

"They have different ideas on how the baby should be raised. Basically, she said they cannot agree on which gang the baby would 'claim,'" Sandoval said.

Manzanares was charged with disorderly conduct, harassment, and domestic violence. He was transported to the Adams County Detention Facility.

On Tuesday, he pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and was sentenced to 12 months of probation and ordered to pay $835 in court costs, according to the Denver Post. The misdemeanor harassment charge was dropped.

2. That is a ridiculous argument.

The son always joins the dad's gang. Duh.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Maybe this kid is the chosen one and he'll unite all the warring gangs.

"Born of a Crip and a Baller, too;
    Little Manzanee couldn't find his crew.
    But with strength and diplomacy, and intelligence as well,
    the Chosen One united them and brought them out of Hell."

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

5. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Is the kid named Cyrus?

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

At least they care about his future!!

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This would be funny if it wasn't so depressing.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I don't know why anybody would want to be a Crip if he could be a Westside Baller.

9. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

Maybe the kid's name is Skee-Lo.

I wish I was a little bit taller.
    I wish I was a Westside Baller.
    I wish I had a girl, I would call her.
    I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat and a 64 Impala.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This is crazy.

Everyone knows you need to decide on your tot's gang before preschool.

Get with the program, people.

11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I understand that if you want to position your preschooler for an Ivy League acceptance, Westside Ballers looks better on the application.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Depends on the school's diversity needs. And, of course, school colors. That can get bloody.

Draft saved Draft deleted