1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First, the return of Loverboy. Then Def Leppard. Not to be outdone ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Few bands can boast as strong a quartet of albums in their discography as On Through The Night, High n' Dry, Pyromania and Hysteria, regardless of where they peaked. I personally consider Hysteria to be their peak.

All the while surviving the drummer losing a limb, one guitarist dying via overdose and another being kicked out of the band for excessive alcohol abuse (which, by the way, has to be a pretty neat trick to get thrown out of a rock-n-roll band for alcohol abuse).

On Through the Night gets a serious run through tonight amidst the b-ball.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Def Lep may have peaked in 1983, but Hysteria was nothing short of a monster hit... Adrenalize didn't do that badly either, although nowhere close to the level of the other two...

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Ask most people when Def Leppard last put out an album and you'll find out that most think it's been about 20 years since they did.

And guess what -- the Def is touring in Europe this spring WITH WHITESNAKE.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Saw Def Lep in concert last summer with Foreigner and Styx...Def Lep definitely stole that show.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Fixed.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Touche. Foreigner actually wasn't that bad (even w/out Lou Gramm) but Styx was awful.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't get me going on Fakeigner (hi Junkie!). Mick Jones and his merry band of traveling thieves. Grrrr.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I was definitely going to that concert for Def Lep, but some of my friends were there for Foreigner. I think they were all too stoned to care by the time Def Lep came on.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I mean, how many original members are even still in Foreigner or Styx? Sheesh, at what point does it cease existing to be that band, and essentially be a cover band for the most part?

In 50 years when all the members are dead, will there be still be a band touring called Friends of Foreigner, consisting of people whose parents may have once jammed with members of the original band in a roadside bar?

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

That's how I felt the last time I saw "Lynyrd Skynyrd" in concert.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

There is no Foreigner without Lou Gramm.

It's like Motley Crue without Vince Neil, Poison without Bret Michaels, Led Zeppelin without Robert Plant, GNR without Axl, Motorhead without Lemmy, Metallica without James, Van Halen without DL ... wait ... shit.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

There was also Slow and Easy, Slide It In and Fool for Your Loving from earlier in the Whitesnake oeuvre. And On Through the Night has two awesome songs in Hello America and Rock Brigade.

Draft saved Draft deleted