1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First the NBA, now Tennis, say it isn't so

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cansportschick, Oct 9, 2007.

1. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

DiMauro, like Pete Rose, did not bet on his own "team" ;-)

2. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I would imagine tennis -- or any individual sport for that matter -- would be a hot-bed for fixing, if only for the simple fact that it's much easier to guarantee the outcome when you don't have teammates to worry about. Same goes for boxing or any other one-on-one event.

3. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

That's exactly right. The only reason it took so long to come out was because it involves lesser-ranked players, who quite frankly need the money.
    To the big guys, $50K for throwing a match is pocket change. To a guy struggling in the minors, it's a year's worth of travelling expenses.

What's amazing is the amount of money bet on matches between two obscure players in some obscure tournament halfway around the world. That's because of online betting. People will bet on anything - especially if they don't have to leave the basement.

The recurring theme here is "Russian" and "Italian." (mafia).

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Just saw ESPN's report on the original game last August. Interesting piece, and I somewhat believed Davydenko until he said:

"There is no mafia in Russia."

Now I know the fix was in.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

This one's amazing. Three people were sitting in the stands, betting on games going on in front of them on laptops. After officials realized what they were doing, the two Russians and German were ejected.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=3242002

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sounds like some press rooms I've been in.

Draft saved Draft deleted