1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First the BCS screws Texas Christian...now it's costing me readers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's a sham of a system the schools support, so it's really not a sham.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Flexmaster, what you say is true, but that does not jive with your assertion that TCU is "screwed" by a system it is a willing participant in.

Every year schools complain about the BCS. Well, shut up and change the system already. Or, don't complain about the results. TCU is in a league that includes Colorado State, New Mexico, UNLV and Wyoming, four teams that would -- with the possible exceptions of Washington State and Vanderbilt -- be the worst team in either the SEC or the Pac-10 if they played in those leagues. That's HALF of TCU's conference schedule being played against teams that are probably worse than ANY team on Oregon or Auburn's conference schedule.

I know TCU can't do anything about that. But again, they are a willing participant in this system. They are happy with their Rose Bowl money and a No. 2 finish.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Being a willing participant in the only game in town doesn't automatically justify the only game in town.

4. BrianGriffin

No it doesn't. But it does cut down your right to claim you've been "screwed" by that system. That's all I'm saying. If the BCS didn't work the way it was designed to work and that happened at the expense of TCU, then they would be screwed. But the BCS worked the way it was supposed to work and TCU is a willing participant in it, so they are not screwed.

Hell, reading comments from Patterson and TCU players, it doesn't look like THEY feel screwed. They understand how the process works.

5. highlander

highlander Member

What else can Patterson do? He doesn't want to come across like another whining coach from the state of Texas.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

TCU isn't really a member or willing participant in the BCS. It's among the teams from non-BCS conferences begrudgingly being thrown a crumb in an effort by the BCS schools to keep the bulk of the bowl money to themselves.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm with you entirely, except that the thing that hasn't been brought up in this conversation is: TCU HAS done something about it. They're joining the Big East. Utah (which has had two perfect seasons the last 7 years) HAS done something about it and will join the Pac-10. You'd have to imagine Boise State thought they were doing something about it by joining the Mountain West, until BYU, TCU and Utah bailed on the conference. And if Boise State continues its run of excellence (I see no reason why they wouldn't), they'll probably make their way into a BCS conference at some point too.

8. highlander

highlander Member

I'm a TCU graduate and went to the Rose Bowl. I'm fine with the way the BCS game turned out. No arguments about those two teams playing in the game. My problem is people ripping TCU and saying they would have gotten hammered if the Frogs had played Auburn or Oregon. No one knows what might have happened. My problem with the whole situation was ESPN announcers saying that if Auburn or Oregon had lost on the final week, that teams like Alabama or Stanford should leap TCU and play in the title game.

9. highlander

highlander Member

A willing member would get a full cut of the BCS Rose Bowl money and just share it will the other MWC teams. Instead TCU shares it 18 million with all the non-BCS schools. Seems really fair.

10. BrianGriffin

They are also a member of the bowl subdivision of Division I, which can always adopt a playoff format.

11. BrianGriffin

Yes, but the move is more about access to money by going to a BCS league. But is that really any different than the NCAA basketball tournament? In the NCAA tournament, the conferences shares are distributed based on the number of teams in the tournament and how deep they go. So the Big East will get money for something like seven teams this year. Chances are several will get past the first round, which is more money for the whole league. Chances are, somebody or maybe more than one team will make the Final Four, which means a ton of money for everybody.

So access to post-season money doesn't fundamentally change by eliminating the bowl system.

Again, I may be coming across as an apologist for the bowls, but I'm not. They should do a playoff. I'm just saying the MWC made out just as well financially on this deal as they would have made out in a playoff. So they don't complain and are, more or less, fine with it.

12. BrianGriffin

Isn't that true of all conferences. In other words, doesn't Wisconsin share their share with the entire Big 10? It's just that when you are in a BCS conference, you are sharing money from seven-eight bowl appearances, including two BCS bowls and if you are not in the BCS, you are sharing money from 2-3 smaller bowls and maybe, if you are lucky, one of them is a BCS bowl.

Very similar to what happens with NCAA tournament appearances.

Draft saved Draft deleted