1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First smartphone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, May 17, 2014.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I never had to buy a phone up until a few years ago when I got whacked from the company I was with. I had company phones going back to the original Blackberry in 2002.

At my company now I was issues an Iphone and I hate it compared to the Android operating system phones I had.

Battery life sucks, it's freezes more, is glitchy as well as just being way slower. Plus being tied to their IOS it is damn near impossible to customize a phone ring.

Android all the way.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I just find Androids to be so aesthetically clunky.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I had an Android a while back and IMHO the difference is that Android allows a bunch of customization, so if you're into that, its great. The iPhone doesn't allow much customization but the intuitive and ease of use is so much better. Been with iPhone for last 7 years and happy.

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

iPhones are like Hondas; the are easy to work and seem to last forever.

I hate not having the speaker jack on the 7 and up, but other than that, the things last forever.

No one ever bitches about an iPhone. No one with an iPhone on the Verizon network bitches either where I live.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I think the next thing iPhones put out of business will be wedding photographers and portrait photographers.

That X takes some pretty amazing photos.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That's why my son spent the extra and the pictures he sends me of his daughter are pretty strong.

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Personal phone = iPhone 6se
    Work phone = iPhone 7

My only real gripe is having two cell phones.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Why do people have to have 2 cell phones? I only have 1 for which my firm reimburses me. (Now I had to buy my iPhone 8 recently (broke 6 screen twice in 6 mos) but its tax deductible as a partner). Is it the volume of calls or that your company says no personal calls on company phone? I check both work and personal emails on same phone so segregating emails is not difficult.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

When I worked for the community college and then Cal State, I had my phone and was reimbursed most of cost because I used it for work.
    My current employer issued me a phone, and I try not to use it for personal purposes.

I hate carrying two phones, but it is a better policy under the circumstances.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I have a friend who kept his personal phone after work gave him one because he didn't want his employer to have access to his personal emails and texts.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Burner phone, yo.

12. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

You live in an iPhone and Verizon heaven. I hear complaints about at least montly. Our photographer recently gave up on his (I think a 6S) because of lag and poor battery.

And speaking of photographers...

I'm a photo enthusiant and it does, but it's not a replacement for a seasoned pro with pro DSLR equipment.

Draft saved Draft deleted