1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First smartphone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, May 17, 2014.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Seems silly that I waited so long, but I'll take possession of my first IPhone on Monday.
    I'd open to suggestions on the first 5 apps you'd install after getting a new phone.
    Not looking for games, but for productivity tools.

2. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Don't sweat it. I didn't get my first smartphone until December, also an iPhone.

PlainText and DropBox were the first two I got. They're free and the easiest way to store simple text files on a server that can be used on any platform (Windows, Mac OS X, iOS, Android). But PlainText really is plain text, so no formatting, no bold, no italics.

Adobe has a free Acrobat app for reading PDFs, which comes in handy.

If you want to sync your bookmarks but don't have a Mac computer to sync Safari OS X with Safari iOS, there's a Google Chrome browser. Set up a gmail account, and it keeps bookmarks updated no matter if you're on the smartphone or a computer. If you do this much, get Google Maps. Sign in with the gmail account, and you can keep bookmarked map locations, etc. There's also a gmail app, but Apple Mail is fine as it is.

Weather Channel has a lot more info than the Apple Weather app. Free.

Ookla has an app called SpeedTest, which lets you check your connection speed (doesn't matter if you're on wifi or wireless data). Also free.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

One app I use a lot: Evernote. ... Fantastic for keeping lists, notes, etc. It syncs up with your computers, so you always have your latest versions wherever you are.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Re: synching. If you use gmail and take a lot of photos, sync it to your phone. Every photo I take is automatically backed up to my G+ cloud. Photos and videos take up a ton of space and you're going to have to delete them every so often to make more room for more. It would stink if you had to start deleting photos and videos in the middle of a big event without having backed them up.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I use the Google search app daily. It lets me jump to my google drive quickly and actually search. ESPN scorecenter app is good too because I can keep track of the teams I want from my phone. You can also set up alerts to get final scores from your favorite team's games. Of course, sometimes they chime in with an alert about Manchester United or some shit I don't care about.

My banking apps and PayPal come in handy as well as Yelp.com when I am traveling and looking for food.

Also, I'm a social media junkie so I have Facebook, Twitter, SnapChat, Vine and Insstagramw hich I use daily. Also have YouTube for videos when I need to quickly pull something up.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

+1

Make Evernote you close friend and you'll never be a fuckup again.

Also, if you are into weather, DarkSky is the bomb -- alerts you when rain is approaching, has concise radar and other details.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Evernote is great... Inkpad is also great...

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I've been trying to buy my first smartphone for a couple of weeks; everyone's got a scam; buying a car is 1000 percent easier.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I got my first BlackBerry in 2005 when they were just catching on. It was so cool to be able to sit anywhere and surf. I even filed stories with it, although the thumb-typing was slow as hell.

Of course, technology moved on and soon I was behind again. Now I have an iPhone 5s which I love, and when I need to, I use my laptop via the phone's personal hot spot. It takes great photos and videos and I run my e-mail through it, which I couldn't do with the two BlackBerrys before it.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

weather alert is great. You can customize locations and types of weather warnings/watches, etc.

New weather.com upgrade is great. Candy Crush is a must. Facebook, too.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My advice: go online with the carriers (Verizon, T-Mobile, whatever else serves your area well) and look at the rates. Figure out who has a deal that best fits your needs. For me it was T-Mobile, but your mileage may vary.

Then, go to the actual store for that company, NOT an "authorized seller." The company stores are infinitely better and have much less of a used car sales approach. It can be tricky to tell which is which -- there's a T-Mobile seller near me that isn't really a T-Mobile, and the only indicator you get is a small plaque on the wall behind the counter -- but go to the real one and talk to the people there. It makes a huge difference, at least in my experience.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

FYI: Picked up an IPhone 5S about three weeks ago.

Very cool, but let's face it, smartphones may be smart but they're not very good phones.

Draft saved Draft deleted