1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First shots fired in net neutrality war

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Jul 27, 2009.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,534941,00.html

The largest ISP in the USA tried to block access to the Internet's most notorious image message board for most of its users. It's unclear why AT&T did this, but the ban was lifted during the late morning hours. Perhaps AT&T didn't have the stomach for war.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This can't be the first shot. ISPs have been slowing down CraigsList for years.

3. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Actually it says why AT&T did what it did in the third graf:

Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds pretty reasonable to me.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

According to what I've read on various message boards, the entire 4chan was not blocked. It was only the random image board or /b/.

If that was the case, what AT&T did was the equivalent of blocking only the Politics forum on SportsJournalists.com. I don't see how that would deter any attack. Their explanation isn't up to snuff.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

4chan gets hit with DDoS attacks once a month or so, from what I know. With tens of thousands of active posters and something like 300,000,000 posts on all their sub-boards, they make a tempting target. Who the hell knows.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

4chan is just bizarre.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It really is, and it's NSFW in ways most people here can't imagine.

On the other hand, everything from Rickrolling to lolcats (Caturday) to facepalm.jpg flows from that river.

The sports board, or /sp/, isn't as extreme, but it's still pretty damn NSFW.

8. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Somehow I'd never even heard of 4chan before this thread.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You just failed the internets.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Me neither. Don't feel so bad.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Ditto, and I'm usually ahead off the game on things that are internet related.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

4chan.org, among many far more horrible contributions to internet culture, is responsible for the invention of LOLcats.

Draft saved Draft deleted