1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First school night

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 31, 2006.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. My feelings had less to do with work than some of you, but smallp said a lot of what I was thinking

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Novelist lives in Keller, Texas!

Down here, the school year was getting ridiculous in places like Keller and Plano. Some people went back to school the very first of August, others waited till Aug. 21 or so. It got to a point that the state legislature mandated the third week in August and forced schools to apply for waivers to start early. Starting next year, no more waivers. Everyone starts late August.

(The reason for the early start is some schools choose to take a weeklong fall break, while ending the semester at Christmas.)

If you have kids in school, at least it means saving daycare money. But it sucks when you're planning vacations.

Of course, sportswise, it doesn't matter. Football two-a-days start next Monday and the first volleyball scrimmages are Aug. 11. It's always a shock to the system after a month of vaca'.

(BTW ... not to T-jack ... but I'm happy to announce that the Flora-Bama is back open for business! The post office in Venice, La. ... uh ... not so much.)

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

School doesn't start in Microville until after Labor Day. First college action in late August, first preps Labor Day weekend.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

For my girlfriend's school district, they delayed opening by a week because of the extra electricity costs associated with running air conditioners during the God-awful Texas August days.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Is going back to school in August normal?

Up here, school starts the day after Labour Day.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

End of summer? Sheesh. It's supposed to be 100 fucking degrees here in Va. today. Ugh. Sure as hell doesn't feel like end of summer.

Draft saved Draft deleted