1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First pitches

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

If you have any way of doing so, make sure you catch the attempt by Cincinnati Mayor Mark Mallory at today's Reds-Cubs game. He lauches it about 10 feet left of home plate -- and the look on Eric Davis' face (he was catching) is priceless. A mix of "Is this guy putting me on?" and "Oh my God! He hit the bull!"

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

First pitches stopped being important when the empty suits in the front office used it as a marketing tool.
    A special treat became everyday.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Yeah, but this was just special. Mallory was up on Univ of Cincinnati campus last week practicing. I heard it was just pitiful -- dude was launching them into the dugouts, guys in the stands were ducking. And then Mallory does it for the big moment.

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Meanwhile...

George Bush declined to throw out the first pitch at the Nationals game.

Today is Washington's 65th Opening Day since 1910, when William H. Taft gave us a tradition: the ceremonial first pitch by the president. Taft threw the inaugural one for the Senators that year. In the local club's 63 home openers since, a dozen presidents have done the honors 45 times, from front-row seats or from the mound, making them 46 for 64 overall (.719). Pretty reliable.

"Oh, yes, he was invited," said Bush spokeswoman Emily Lawrimore. She said the president, an avid baseball fan and former part owner of the Texas Rangers, would love to be there. But "it's not possible with his schedule. He's got various meetings during the day, a meeting earlier in the morning. . . . It just wasn't going to work out."

With Bush's approval ratings stuck below 40 percent in recent polls, Lawrimore was asked whether the president feared he'd get booed. "No," she replied. "Certainly not."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/01/AR2007040101262_pf.html

5. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

"I don't know where it's goin..."

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

My guess is Bush would rather wait an throw one out in Arlington.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I saw it. He actually hit one of the umpires. It was funny as hell. I couldn't hear the audio so I didn't know who it was. It's also worth watching the replay just to get a look at Eric Davis' suit. It's from the Michael Irvin Collection.

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

The Cincy mayor's attempt:

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

The ump mock-throwing him out of the game, at least, had a sense of humor about it. Davis' reaction, though, was priceless.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It looked like he expected Ashton Kutcher to jump out and yell "You're punk'd!"

11. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Rich Ankiel anyone?

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

How could someone be so bad? That is some funny stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted