1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First piece since Poynter Seminar

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by SamMonson, May 17, 2008.

1. SamMonson

SamMonson New Member

Hey guys.

This is my first post, so I suppose I'd better give a brief intro as well.

I'm an Irish sports journalist, lagely trying to raise the profile of American Football over this side of the pond, and writing for a website - www.footballdiner.com - which aims at doing just that.

I recently attended a Poynter Inst. Summit on Sports Journalism, and this is the result: A peace to feature in a magazine over here. Thoughts/critique would be gratefully received. (bear in mind the Irish location for spelling..)

Sam

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I would have liked to see quotes. Get some background into the players. Are they from a soccer, rugby, or Gaelic football background?

As for style, you switch from American Football to American football. Sword of Damocles? Rain during a football game isn't dangerous.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Those Poynter Institute seminars are like meth to a journo. You come out of one and you want to write an epic out of an everyday brief. Not criticizing the piece or the seminars. They surely recharge the batteries, I just wish the day to day world of journalism was more like what you learn in those seminars.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I get that feeling about seminars too. "Focus on enterprise and investigative journalism." Of course they don't tell you how to work that in when you're busting your butt on the day-to-day stuff already.

5. SamMonson

SamMonson New Member

It is when the pitch becomes a puddle, and there's real potential for actually drowning at the bottom of a pile.

What's the issue with Sword of Damocles?

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The Sword of Damocles would mean the players would be have a constant danger over their heads. Using the quote for something simple as rain waters down the metaphor.

Draft saved Draft deleted