1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First Oprah...Next? Beck???

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Mar 23, 2011.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Or a fucking drunk. That would make for a great reality show.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Beck was so much funnier 3 years ago.

His "moron trivia" bits were hysterical.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The TV show lasted four years.
    In any event, it's a far, far different TV landscape now than it was in the early 90s. With the way cable has fragmented the audience, he could definitely get some traction.

And now that I think about it, Rush and O'Reilly are probably the only two who could legitimately pull this off. Rush has the name, the money and the following to carry an audience and keep it beyond the first six months. He'd also be able to pull enough second-string folks into the fold to fill out the lineup.
    O'Reilly, for all his pomposity, is a newsman at heart. I think an O'Reilly network would be more like another cable news channel with an emphasis on investigative reporting than the typical MSNBC/Fox talkfests. It might be just different enough to stand out.
    All the rest of the conservative talking heads (Hannity, Beck, Levin, etc.) sound too much alike and rely on the Republican talking points too much to separate from the pack.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think Beck could do it. He is still the second highest rated host on Fox right now, even with his time slot. Maybe fill out his roster with a couple other talk hosts looking for a TV gig in addition to Touched by an Angel and Little House on the Prairie reruns.
    And he could branch out. Imagine if he opens the door to people who are more conspiracy-minded than political minded? Hell, he might even start going after Wall Street if he's unchained from Fox.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Came on after Nightline in my ruby-red media market. Can't say it didn't outdraw Donahue in the time slot.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'd watch a Beck channel if it was all like this:

7. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

And I thought this was a thread about Beck getting his own cable channel. Dang.

It could be WIA - Where It's At TV.

Because I do have two turntables and a microphone.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Great minds, Bama. Great minds.

9. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

The only shows I can think of that went the low-tech route on a regular basis (Chalkboard, not graphics) are The 700 Club (when goofball Robertson was giving a class in one explanation for why God does certain things....Don't worry, Not going to bore you here with that stuff...) and the old "Sunrise Semester" shows of the 60s/70s (God, I'm old!!). But I was a kid when Sunrise Semester was on, so I probably saw it on my way to watching cartoons!

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Never recalled seeing one Sunrise Semester episode ... mainly because it came on long before I got up for school in the Central Time Zone and my folks watched the Today Show mostly anyway.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

None of this would have happened if The History Channel stayed away from Nostradamus and the Knights Templar

12. printdust

printdust New Member

Spoken above the HISSING noise at the radical right-winger. When the hissing ceases, they'll pray for a Rachel Maddow or well, speaking of MHISSNBC, Keithy O. is unemployed.

Draft saved Draft deleted