1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First Night on the Desk

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

My first night was also the first paper of a major redesign of my college paper. It was summer, so I was a one-man band as far as design. I started at noon to lay out my five pages and by 7 p.m. had finished 3.5. The grad assistant, who was a design whiz, comes in to see how I am doing and noticed that my body text font looked a little weird. InDesign had decided to hiccup and create two "Body text" in my styles tab. One had an upper case T, one with a lower. The lower was the one I wanted, but not knowing that I layed out the whole section with an upper case T.
    I immediately went down to about two pages worth of copy from my previous 3.5. Had to scramble to find more photos, make the ones I did have larger and pull out a couple of press releases that were in the "Why the F would I run this? pile.

Of course, my first night designing at my current stop I was out the door 20 minutes early with two stories coming in on deadline.

Draft saved Draft deleted