1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First names you don't see anymore

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I think Verna was awfully common in areas with a lot of people of German decent.

Somebody said Dorcas was a New England thing and wondered about other regional names. It's not quite the same thing, but aren't there a ton of kids named Peyton, both boys and girls, in Tennessee? It also seems like there were an awful Bretts and born within 250 miles or so of Kansas City back in the 80s.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Wow. Looking it up, Jennifer had a 15-year run as the most popular girl's name, from 1970-1985.

I would've put good money on Megan being the most popular the year I was born. I knew a billion Megans growing up.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It seemed like half the girls in my classes were Megans, Heathers or Jennifers.

4. RecoveringJournalist

In my 6th grade class we had four Justins and five Jennifers. This is out of 35 kids.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My grandparents on my mom's side — both born in the late 1920s — were named Elmer and Avis.

My mom's given name was Betty, but she went by her middle name. She was born in 1949.

I don't have any kids, but all my cousins seem to have given their kids two syllable names ending in "N" — Braden, Logan, Dustin, Collin, Landon, etc., etc., etc.

6. RecoveringJournalist

My grandparents and great-grandmother's names were: Fred, Evelyn, Geraldine, Robert and Antoinette.

Other than Robert, you don't see those names too often.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

My best friend named his firstborn daughter (who is now 6) Mabel. I think she was named after a grandmother.

My other friend and I were debating it when she was born. I said, "I've never heard of a stripper named Mabel." He responded, "I've never heard of a senator named Mabel, either."

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I had a grandmother named Olga and a grandfather named Axel on the Scandinavian side of the family and a great aunt named Gertrude on the Irish side.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Jenna Maroney's mother was named Verna. Then her father spurned her for a curly-haired surfer named Roberta. I think it hurt her.

Jake_Taylor and TeamBud like this.
  10. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Oscar isn't too common anymore (and neither is Felix, for that matter).

Until recently, I would have added Audrey to the list of women's names. But not too long ago I met an Audrey who is in her early 20s, and one of my wife's clients has a 10-year-old daughter named Audrey.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

In 8th grade (1966), one teacher freaked us all out by calling everyone by their last name. That was a first for us. It's because there were 4 guys and 1 girl named Chris.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

What about the pro wrestler?

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted